Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trip Report - USA

nikiandemma
7: Helper
Back from our 25 night honeymoon in Vegas, LA and Hawaii! Oh and a £205 phone bill. I managed to get the majority credited because they messed up my World Traveller..

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has managed to get on to Verizon whilst roaming in the USA? My iPhone 6 found it in the list of networks but would never connect. Strange how the two companies are linked.

But had AT&T 3G everywhere I went, the Americans really have network coverage (and capacity) as a priority and really puts the UK to shame. Masts are everywhere, even on our detour along the old Route 66 in the Californian desert I still had full strength 3G. Not once did I pull my phone out my pocket and see no service, except in the middle of the Pacific!
4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

My sons recently visited Las Vegas and they made similar comments like you. 

I know now a good friend in San Diego who I speak with about mobile networks too. 

Vodafone may have a roaming agreement with particular networks which is possibly why you could connect to that network and not the other. 

I usually look look at this link > Roaming Partners.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Certainly AT&T is the normal network for a Vodafone UK phone to connect to in the US, and the link that Lee gives appears to confirm that.

It's generally considered best to let your phone sort out the network it wants to connect to, unless for some reason that is causing a problem; you'll be charged the same, whichever network your phone picks up.

Was there some particular reason why you wanted Verizon? If your phone could see a network, but couldn't connect to it, then there can't be a roaming agreement in place with that network in that locality. If a particular network is essential, then either you could get a local SIM, or work backwards using Lee's link to find a UK network which does have a roaming agreement with that network, and get a PAYG SIM for that network.

nikiandemma
No particular reason, just heard good reports of Verizon's LTE and thought I'd give it a go. Just weird how the two companies are linked but no roaming agreement between them. Lees link is very good and valuable. However AT&Ts 4G was also very good and widespread in the remote areas we drove out to. I literally had everything everywhere.

Thanks guys for the responses..
Nick

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Verizon and Vodafone were linked.

I have mostly connected to AT&T most of the times, occasionally Tmobile.

While Roaming I always leave the phone connect to a Network automatically. Both this Networks gave me excellent speeds.