Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to upgrade but huge overcharge compared to new customer

awmw
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've been due an upgrade for a few month but have held off, waiting for the price of the Note 8 to drop a little.

Last Monday I went into Carphone Warehouse as they had a good deal on a Note 8 on Vodafone but this deal was unavailible to me as I was an existing Vodafone customer.

The Carphone Warehouse deal was £47/month + £60 upfront for 32GB Red Entertainment ( plus a Samsung Bluetooth speaker ). The total for 24 months is £1188

Compared to Vodafones price of £62/month +£30 upfront, total £1518.

This is an extra £330 or £13.75/month so a significant amount.

I called vodafone and was offered a slightly better price than there web price but nothing close to the Carphone warehouse deal I missed out on.

As a loyal customer I should get a better deal than a new customer, at worst get the same deal as a new customer but not be punished for being an existing Vodafone customer.

If there were different price structures for people of different race or people of different genders this would be unthinkable and headline news but Vodafone can discriminate on the basis of being one of there own customers?

4 REPLIES 4

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

It's disappointing when that happens, but almost all large companies from TV and Broadband providers, telephone companies and utilities have offers to entice new customers which are better than current customers can get.

Here is one suggestion, as you've been due an upgrade for a month you must be near the end of your contract, so wait for that to run out, cancel the contract and get the Carphone Warehouse deal as a new customer rather than an upgrade.

Or, if you can afford it, you could take out a new contract with CW now and pay two contracts for a month or two until your VF one comes to an end and you can cancel 

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

hrym
17: Community Champion

Signing up again involves slightly more work, but would be worth it for the saving.   You'll initially get a new contract with a new number.   Once you have this, port your old number over to it - don't cancel the contract until that's done or you'll lose the number.   Finally, double check that the old contract has been cancelled - the port process should do it, but better to be safe than sorry.   And don't cancel the direct debit until you're sure the final payment has been taken.

jeffkinn

There's an important point being missed here. Offers from Carphone Warehouse are their own offers and are nothing to do with this or any other network. Vodafone does not offer better prices to new customers than existing ones - they are identical.

CPW and all independent dealers put their own tariffs together and they receive a commission from the network for new connections. They receive a lot more commission from a brand new customer than an upgrade to an existing company and that is why they try and churn people from network to network. It isn't unknown for dealers to process an upgrade as a new connection and leave the customer to sort out the resulting mess.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Getafix

And to add to what @jeffkinn said, for Third Party contract, Network only provide the Neytwork Services. The Cost of Handeset and Warranty cover is handled by the Third Party.

You can try and source the Handset yourself and get a SIM Only deal from Vodafone, which they offer with good discounts.

I always say do what is best for you.

I almost left Vodafone a few months ago as O2 were offering me a very good deal with Note 8. But got a good deal on a SIM Only plan. So planning to buy Note 8 outright, probably from USA so will end up saving on the O2 deal. Downside will have to wait till I go next to USA.