Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to make calls or use internet

Garyst
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, i have full 4g signal but am unable to make calls, or use internet. I can send text messages though. This has been going on some time, so I went to my local Vodafone shop and they changed some settings on my account, this worked for about 10 mins after I left the shop. I was away on holiday the day after, so I contacted an advisor via live chat, who told me there was maintenance going on in my area and to wait 48hrs "seemed like BS to me as my wife's phone is fine, and my workmate who are both on vodafone" well I thought maybe when on holiday "lanzarote" it may start working again, I am now connected to Vodafone es and have the same problem. I can make Internet work by turning on data roaming, but am worried about costs. How can I tell if I am running up charges? I still don't seem to be able to call though. I did chat with another advisor who claimed to have changed settings again, but this did nothing, feel like just being fobbed off tbh. Any advice appreciated thanks! Phone is xperia xa1 pay monthly  :Thumbs_Up:

13 REPLIES 13

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Garyst

As far as being connected to Vodafone ES is concerned, you have Global Roaming, that means you are able to use the phone as you would back home in the UK without the worry of an additional charges.  However, it might be worth checking your account for any roaming restriction bars.

The first thing to do when you get back after your holiday is to go to a Vodafone Store and get your SIM replaced, when a SIM has been used for a while it can start to do some strange things.  It would also be worth checking your online account for any bars, there is a bar for outgoing calls.

If you still have problems after the SIM change and account check come back to the forum and a member of the Forum Team will be able to look at your account.

@Garyst

There is further information on Global Roaming here:  Global Roaming

Also try changing the network mode on the phone to 2 and 3G and see if it makes a difference.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, that I visited the shop twice, first time they swapped the sim, next day altered some account settings. There are no bars in place in my account or settings. So I am OK to use roaming? It still says Vodafone in the corner when switched on. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Garyst - This is strange. We can take a look at your account to make sure everything’s as it should be from there.

Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Back home now, and sure enough unable to make calls or use internet, freinds and family on vodafone all OK. Had a new sim, phone worked in lanzarote, back in England and its totally useless again! 😠 Been going on for weeks now. Had loads of different answers/excuses from Vodafone, paying out for a service I'm not getting! Not happy, need my phone!! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 👍 

hrym

If you respond to the private message that Gemma sent you, the team will be able to look into this.

Hi, thanks for the reply. i did, but had no response.

Hi Gemma, still hack g the same problems. Can't Work it out. Had a live chat with another advisor tonight who apparently made some changes which would solve my problems, but no different. Did a full software repair on my phone, no change. Starting to wonder about the sim, but I had the same problem with my old one, and this one worked in lanzarote with data roaming on. My wife injured herself at work today, and couldn't contact me directly to tell me I needed to pick the kids up from school. I did pick one call up today amazingly, but I couldn't be heard to the caller. No one seems to be able to help, or know what's wrong, it's all very bizzare. Really need my phone, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Hi Gemma, still having the same problems. Can't Work it out. Had a live chat with another advisor tonight who apparently made some changes which would solve my problems, but no different. Did a full software repair on my phone on Xperia companion , no change. Starting to wonder about the sim, but I had the same problem with my old one, and when I was in the Vodafone shop the assistant put my old sim in another phone and had the same problem, and this one worked in lanzarote with data roaming on. My wife injured herself at work today, and couldn't contact me directly to tell me I needed to pick the kids up from school. I did pick one call up today amazingly, but I couldn't be heard to the caller. No one seems to be able to help, or know what's wrong, it's all very bizzare. Really need my phone, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks