Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to use P20 Lite as hotspot

Rvdveer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

HI,

I am unable to use my P20 Lite as a Hotspot, I can configure the phone no problem but when I connect a PC etc to the hotspot they d not have any internet connection.

Has anybody come across that or have a solution?

Thanks,

Pietje.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I now have a solution.

The issue is that dun needs to be added to APN TYPE in the APN settings.

I now have the following string in APN TYPE: default,supl,mms,ia,dun. 

Unfortunately I am unable to add dun to APN TYPE as I still get the error: You do not have permission from your carrier to add dun-type APNs. - so I still cannot add this.

The only way to resolve it is to reset my phone and low and behold after reset the APN settings are changed and I now have the following string in APN TYPE: default,supl,mms,ia,dun - and I can connect to the hotspot and have internet access.

P.S Resetting the APN settings to default does not solve the issue.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You may need to contact Live Chat  or 191 or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries to have your account provisioned for hotspot use i.e tethering.

Do also take into account hooking up a pc / laptop as these devices access feature rich content and update in the background they can and use up mobile data allowances faster.

How-do-I-set-up-a-mobile-hotspot-on-my-device. 

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I wish that was the case but in the UK this is standard enabled and just confirmed by support.

BandOfBrothers

Ok then if this is indeed provisioned on your account then please re check the settings and preferences both in your phone and the pc your attempting to connect to @Rvdveer 

That's the next avenues to check.

Perhaps see if you can latch another device such as a tablet etc as a process of elimination.

Good luck.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @Rvdveer 

You would have followed the device hotspot set up from the device guides > connectivity here:  Device Guides - Huawei P20 lite , you also need a good data connection and have WiFi turned off when setting up a hotspot.

I am going to link you to this previous thread, https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/No-Internet-access-via-WIFI-hotspot/td-p/2567046#it may go back to July 2017 but the information is relevant to your issue and you may find the answer to your hotspot connection problem.  

Hi,

That is a good link, I read somewhere else that adding dun to APN TYPE will solve the issue, however i get an error now when adding this: you do not have permission from your carrier to add dun-type APNs. - so I cannot add this.

So I now have a solution.

The issue is that dun needs to be added to APN TYPE in the APN settings.

I now have the following string in APN TYPE: default,supl,mms,ia,dun. 

Unfortunately I am unable to add dun to APN TYPE as I still get the error: You do not have permission from your carrier to add dun-type APNs. - so I still cannot add this.

The only way to resolve it is to reset my phone and low and behold after reset the APN settings are changed and I now have the following string in APN TYPE: default,supl,mms,ia,dun - and I can connect to the hotspot and have internet access.

P.S Resetting the APN settings to default does not solve the issue.

BandOfBrothers

Good to hear a resolution has been reached @Rvdveer 

:Smiling:

Current Phone  >

You can always use a asterisk in APN type, this acts as a wild card for all available options.

APN Type: *

Wish I had know that earlier would have saved me from resetting my phone and having some loss in the process. It does seem to be a Vodafone issues as a three simcard does not need any extra entries in the APN TYPE and works out of the box in the same phone.