Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unbelievably inept billing

richard_c
4: Newbie

After many years with vodafone with no real issues, I upgraded my sim only contract at the end of August on a special offer web time limited upgrade discount.  The confirmation appeared on screen, all as expected.  2 days later I got an email confirming the 12 month contract but at an undiscounted rate - the web offer discount is worth £13 per month.

So I had a webchat - the agent confirmed the discounted rate I should pay, said there had been problems with the offer, and that the discount is applied at the point of billing.  His last words were "So please rest assured you will have the same price plan which was promised on website", followed by "you have my word on this".

So now the bill has arrived - the balance of last month and the full amount for next month, neither discounted as per the web offer, a substantial over charge.

How can Vodafone be so inept?  It was a simple transaction. The rate has been confirmed twice, once at point of order and once during teh webchat.  I expect to spend a substantial amount of my time tomorrow trying to sort it out, having spent time on  the webchat a month ago, and have lost all trust in you.  

"So please rest assured you will have the same price plan which was promised on website, you have my word on this".   A straight lie.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I can certainly understand why you’d be unimpressed at this @richard_c

It should have been seamless and I’m sure Vodafone would have wanted that too. 

What typically happens is because a tariff can’t be manually lowered Vodafone apply the discount at the end of the bill when it’s been produced. 

I’m sure Customer Services on 191 will be able to look into this for you and rectify the bill you’ve had and future ones. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

What you said in reply is entirely reasonable, assuming Vodafone can cope with the simple task of charging the customer what the customer signed up for. 

So to update

I called 191, person there was helpful.  30 minutes of my life went by as he checked things and called billing department internally.

He told me the web offer tariff wasn't on the system, seems like they cannot apply the £19 tarrif that my contract says it should be, so they worked out a 40% discount which brings it to £19.20.  I don't really care about the .20, but he offered to put a refund of £2.40 on so it all comes right over 12 months.

Having assured me that the bill would be adjusted and that the DD would be right this month, and confirmed to me that it would be correct in future, he told me that it would take 12-24 hours for the bill to be updated and I would get an email confirming the new bill.  I went away reasonably happy (but hey, why can't Voda apply the right price in the first place, I can't be the only person who upgraded during the offer period).

So I gave it 36 hours, well over the 12-24 he indicated, logged in late his evening, bill just like it was before I wasted all that time on the phone to him.

I guess I now have limited choices:

• Sit quietly and hope.  Check again in a couple of days (by which time it will be too late to prevent the overcharge DD going out, with little chance of recovery)
  • Put up with it and pay £156 more than my contract says over the next 12 months.
  • Try speaking to someone again - but what's the point: two people have failed to put it right so what chance a third getting it right.   Plus it will be another 30-40 minutes of my life while I explain the same thing over again.
  • Try to cancel the contract, but Vodafone has a nasty reputation for flagging defaults on people's credit records and I don't want to risk that.  Plus we are in a poor signal area and my suresignal which I purchased recently would be rendered useless.
  • Wait for Vodafone to take the full amount and then arrange a private criminal proescution for theft by deception (yes, that is a real thing and I have the resources to do it, but do I want the hassle?).
  • Wait for Vodafone to take the full amount and then make a county court claim for recovery + costs.

Looks like Vodafone systems are utterly hopeless and they have 'got me' - nasty nasty experience which unless it is resolved will lose my business after 15 years or so as soon as the 12 months is up.  Off to PAYG with giff gaff next August probably - at least that way I stay in control.

The people I have spoken to have been really helpful - at least superficially - but its still not been put right.

Any suggestions welcome.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@richard_c  - I’m sorry that you’ve had to contact us so many times. You shouldn’t have had to do this.  

My team can take a look at your account for you. Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

Thak you for that offer.  Bill was still wrong on my online account so phoned again this evening (Friday).  The person I spoke to does seem to have put matters right, but it is the third attempt and third promise that all will be well.  

I have a little more confidence this time as the agent has sent me a text with the amount to be taken in each of the next 3 months as the adjustment works through.  Vodafone has added a credit as an 'apology'.  I wasn't really after that, I simply want to pay what I signed up for, but the gesture is appreciated.

I do find it very strange that the actual advertised and signed up for rate couldn't be applied, but if the total bill over 12 months works out roughly right I will be content.

I will see what happens when the DD is taken on Monday/Tuesday and if it is still wrong will PM you.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@richard_c Thanks for getting back to us.
If you ever need any further assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us :Smiling: