Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking a device after upgrade

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Good morning forum, 

I spoke to Vodafone earlier on Thursday looking for some upgrade deals. We agreed on a really amazing deal actually for two years that came with devices. We spoke around how we usually do sim onlys as we buy iPhones from Apple but the deal was too good to miss.

So we had the conversation around the handsets. Sell them, give them away to friends and family. Do whatever with them. Get them unlocked and they're yours to do with what you please.

So my intital thought was ker-ching. On top of a super offer on the rental, we could sell the devices on.

However the devices themselves (Huawei Mate 20) are really nice handsets. As an Apple snob, I thought I'd turn my nose up at them but have to be honest and say that I've had a play and I'm liking it.

But back on point, I'm wanting to get the decive unlocked and I'm getting some conflicting advice so could with someone at Vodafone helping as I have a feeling policy is going to be a nightmare here. 

Keeping on point:

1. I was sold upgrades and told unlock the phones, give them away (not quite the plan anymore, going to give one to a friend and keep the other one and put my Greek sim in it)

2. I was told that you'd unlock them

3. I check the site today and the logic drives you to say that no unlock code unless you've paid three bills (been a customer for many many years, paid more than three bills and believe me... not going anywhere with these deals we've just agreed)

4. The site also mentions in a different place that you need to have your Vodafone sim in the device for more than 30 days (not going to happen - happy with the iPhones)

So before having a series of backwards and forewards with the unlock team or having suggestions of buying and using pay as you talk sims, it'd be great to get some help with this. After all, it's not like they're third party handsets. They've literally been sent this week by yourselves to me so you know I'm the rightful owner. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy

I just wanted to quickly update this thread to say I called Vodafone and got someone to look into this.

We had a chat around the upgrades and the fact that the policy (and if it was implemented in this case) would do nothing other than drive a poor customer experience. 

They agreed and have unlocked the devices. 

It shows that people can look at issues on a case by case basis and then use their initiative to resolve the issue.

It's certainly better than exercising the option to return the devices.

After all, the upgrades deals were so good that I called back and got the same deal for my sister (so I'm at three handsets now). I've not had a deal this good for years that if I could remember the girls name, I'd be offering to name my first born after her! :Cry_Laughing:

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @donnyguy 

I agree they are great phones but not my cup of tea either. :Winking_smiley:

It's my understanding is that due to an upgrade being essentially a new contract and refreshes what you had then the x3 bill payment stipulation adheres. 

Having the sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc helps latch the phones info to your account.

A person could instead insert a Vodafone payg sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc and then ask for the unlock using the new Payg details. No x3 Bill's then. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hey hey!

Thanks for coming back to me. Understand that it's a workaround but thats exactly the kind of solution I'm not looking for (hence referencing it in my first post).

If Vodafone can suggest giving unwanted handsets to family and friends and use this a selling point then they need to stick to their word.

Like I said, these are actually better handsets than I'd expected (me being a snob) so the plan at present is to give one to my friend to use with his 3 sim card and the other I'm going to use myself with my Greek sim. 

So need a less complicated solution to this situation. :Laughing_Face:

BandOfBrothers

Hi.

I assumed you asked the question to the agent when upgrading so as they are selling you a contract with handset they can say you can dispose of the phone now as before the stipulation was a person had to retain the phone for so long ! As far as they are concerned you might be giving or selling it to another person who's going to use a Vodafone UK sim card in it.

Maybe when you get the phones insert your vodafone sim card and make a few calls and send a few texts and then have a go at requesting its unlock. You may drop lucky.

Tho avoid any repeated requests as this can highlight as possible fraud.

I do however still think its x3 payments on time.

That or your friend can try a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones but that would obviously come at a cost.

However you proceed I wish you all the best.

Current Phone  >

Yes... we did have that exact conversation. Second paragraph in on my original post.

Just to re-make my original point. I'm not going to give my friend a locked device and then say it's up to him to fix. It's up to Vodafone to sort for me so look forward to the Forum team catching up with this post. 

Either that or it's an email to the complaints team for them to listen to the original call and deal from there. Rather not go down that route though as the upgrades agent was an absolute star. 

BandOfBrothers

@donnyguy 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams here no longer deal with account based issues.

Now a person has to use Live Chat or telephone support or Facebook or Twitter or complaints procedure you mention.

Current Phone  >

Thanks Band of Brothers. 

Appreciate your help. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @donnyguy, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry for any confusion that's been caused when you took out these new phones and apologise if you've been misadvised in any way.

As @BandOfBrothers advised, you'd need to use a Vodafone SIM in the phones for at least 30 days for them to register against your account. A Pay as you go SIM would be the quickest and easiest way to do this, there's no other way we can get around it; as this method is used to prevent against fraudulent activity. 

If you're still within your first 30 days after upgrading; I know it's not ideal, you do have the option to return the phones and take out SIM only deals instead. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to clear things up for you. 

donnyguy

I just wanted to quickly update this thread to say I called Vodafone and got someone to look into this.

We had a chat around the upgrades and the fact that the policy (and if it was implemented in this case) would do nothing other than drive a poor customer experience. 

They agreed and have unlocked the devices. 

It shows that people can look at issues on a case by case basis and then use their initiative to resolve the issue.

It's certainly better than exercising the option to return the devices.

After all, the upgrades deals were so good that I called back and got the same deal for my sister (so I'm at three handsets now). I've not had a deal this good for years that if I could remember the girls name, I'd be offering to name my first born after her! :Cry_Laughing: