cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade timescales query (possible problem)

1979Damian
4: Newbie

Hi all, it's been a couple of years since I last upgraded and just wanted to check if the timeframes I've experienced so far sound about right.  Also my new upgrade handset will also net me a Huawei smartwatch and wireless charger free of charge but only for orders placed before 26/10/2018.

So I spoke with Tasleem (via 191) on Saturday (20/10/2018) morning having selected the "thinking of leaving VF" option as I was considering moving to O2 on a new 2 year contract (Huawei Mate 20 Pro).  I ultimately ended up agreeing to stay with VF on a 2 year (upgrade) contract (Red Extra, 16GB data, unlimited sms/minutes and 10% discount to take it down to £45 p/month inc. VAT).  Tasleem stated my new tariff would start from midnight that night but on checking my account online I can see my tariff hasn't changed, as it happens I'm not a "heavy" data user so I haven't exceeded my allowances etc.

My concern is more around whether the phone has ACTUALLY been ordered, partly because I don't want to end up at the back of the queue (if it has to be re-ordered due to an issue with the intial "order") as I like my shiny new toys as much as per the next person.  My main concern is more today with the Huawei promo for the extra kit, this only applies for orders placed before 26/10/2018 and if my "order" has to be actioned again after this point I will potentially lose out of £300+ of extras.

I'm sure that when I've upgraded a few days before my actual contract end date in the past, my new tariff has kicked in at midnight that same day.  Could anyone with recent upgrade experience comment?  Has anyone recently agreed an upgrade for a phone that's  on "pre order" status, could you confirm if you tariff changed that night or at some point in the future?

I also spoke with someone in billing/customer services late this afternoon (Matt? maybe) who advised me that my upgrade phone would be supplied with a new sim card, pre activated and my new package would activate when I put the "new" sim in my new handset.  This doesn't seem right to me as I've only ever needed a new sim card when my new handset has needed a smaller one and I'm sure my "new tariff" has been active from the end of the day I agreed it.  (We got cut off, I was in the car on handsfree and must have gone through a signal black spot, ti would have been nice if he had called me back!).

Finally (so far) I've just spoken with "Aman" on web chat would assured me that my phone was ordered and my tariff would change in the next 24-48 hours but didn't clarify why it would magically change within this timeframe (Surely it either changes at midnight the day it was agreed or when I get my new handset, not some seemingly random point inbetween).

Hopefully it will turn out that everything is okay but I trawl of this forum suggests it could be pot luck as to whether things run smoothly or not.

Any advice or recent experiences on this scenario will be gratefully received.

5 REPLIES 5

beightonguru
6: Helper
6: Helper

Hi there.

Don't worry, your plan starts from when you receive the phone and its signed for. That way you don't pay for a phone you haven't yet received. Not sure why they said from midnight, thats just sim only plans. When a device is on pre order or out of stock then you should still have received texts and emails to confirm the order, and even if you receive the phone after the 26th October, you are still eligible for the free gifts as it is from when the order was placed. If you haven't received confirmation I would definitely contact them to be sure the order has been made. :Smiling: Hope that helps. 

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@1979Damian It sounds like everything is set up correctly, ready for you to receive your phone 😊 If you'd like us to take a closer look and confirm this for you, please follow the steps I've sent you in a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Hi Colleen, I've responded to the PM late last night.  Having seen this thread Nice one VF and having not received any further updates regarding my order, I suspect as was one of my main concerns, VF have taken massively more pre orders than they were ever going to have stock for.

I guess I shouldn't have trusted VF and booked the day off work to avoid trekking to a DPD depot :Angry_Face: although I suspect it's going to be a while (certainly not today) before either scenario happens. #whymakethingssohard

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

So we can check we've got your email @1979Damian, please let us know the reference (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received.

@Mark wrote:

So we can check we've got your email @1979Damian, please let us know the reference (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point.  DPD are due to delivery my handset this afternon and I've got a formal complaint that is being dealt with by the "Customer relations team".

Thanks for checking in though :Thumbs_Up: