Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade to SIM only

B-12345
11: Established
11: Established

Can you upgrade to a SIM only plan when you're eligible for an upgrade? Or does a device have to be involved?

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Yes you can go from a full pay monthly contract to sim only. 

You would be better off doing this at your contract end date and not your upgrade date or you may have to pay off the remaining months or they may add the remaining months to yiur new contract. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

Yes you can go from a full pay monthly contract to sim only. 

You would be better off doing this at your contract end date and not your upgrade date or you may have to pay off the remaining months or they may add the remaining months to yiur new contract. 

Current Phone  >

Brilliant, thank you.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome @B-12345

Please read my edited post. 

Current Phone  >

Do you know the reason for this?

BandOfBrothers

Your contract has two significant dates. 

Early upgrade date where you can upgrade to a new tariff and available new shiny phone. They reset your account and typically add the remaining months to your new contract. Helpful if a person needs / wants a new phone earlier than the contract end date. 

Contract End date where you can upgrade as above but have no months to add , or move to sim only or even Payg. 

Current Phone  >

Thank you for info!

BandOfBrothers

No worries. 

Some further information here....

How-do-I-upgrade.

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Early upgrade date where you can upgrade to a new tariff and available new shiny phone. They reset your account and typically add the remaining months to your new contract. Helpful if a person needs / wants a new phone earlier than the contract end date. 

I am on SIM only now and can upgrade to a phone plan in September. (Only had the SIM since June) Would the phone contract be 24 months plus remaining months of my SIM only? 

Contract End date where you can upgrade as above but have no months to add , or move to sim only or even Payg. 

AnnS

Hi @caluk86

Please refer to my earlier post regarding flexible upgrades.  When you have a SIM only contract, you are able to take advantage of the flexible upgrade option and upgrade to a full phone contract after three months without the need to complete the remaining time left on the SIM only contract.

The new full contract will only be 24 months.

It might be worth mentioning if you have a full contract, before being able to change to a cheaper SIM only contract, you have to complete the full 24 month minimum term.  It is no longer possible to change to SIM only in upgrade period.