Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading my phone.

surreygardener
2: Seeker

I am 7 months into a 24month contract and i am looking at uprading my phone for a fee.If i pay his fee then part exchange my phone and then realise the  new phone is not for me can i cancel the contract within 30days.Would Vodafone chase me for the full price of the original contract?

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @surreygardener

You will have already paid the winding up fee in the first place. 

What-s-a-Flexi-upgrade-and-how-do-I-get-one.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw

Hi @surreygardener the only way would be to pay your early termination fee which is equal to your monthly amount before any discounts multiply by number of months left (minus the VAT) then that is what you will pay. This could be very expensive. Once you do that then that contract is finished so you would start a new one with the 30 day start period in which you could leave and only pay for the time you used in that 30days. 

Livechat or 191 will be able to advise your exact early termination fee. 

63johnw

Sorry @BandOfBrothers typing at the same time. I assumed the OP want on a Flexi upgrade account. 

surreygardener

So after contacting Vodafone about Flexi upgrading my pjone they come back with a stupid amount I would have to pay. After questioning the amount the answer was because I got a FREE watch when I bought the phone from I first thought as now they are trying to get more money out of me because of the FREE Vodafone. Turns out the watch wasn't free as it was supposed to be.When it comes to choosing my next provider I will remember that. In the past couple of weeks, the Broadband sales team have been just as bad resulting in them losing a potential customer. 

The watch I assume was given as part of the deal to sign up to a particular deal @surreygardener

I'm not quite convinced the agent was correct when giving the reason for the cost of the fee. 

The justification for a fee is purely because you want to wind up the contract by upgrading early. 

I'm thinking if you phoned Customer Service again and asked about upgrading they may just say the fee is the fee and that's that. 

In my thoughts a freebie would only be brought into the scenario if it needed returning for any reason with it being connected to the contract. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I probably did not read the small print but when I purchased the phone it said it was FREE, now Vodafone are taking the cost of the watch included in the upgrade price, hence the large charge.

So FREE is not really FREE? 

jeffkinn

I agree with @BandOfBrothers

I've never heard of Vodafone including the cost of hardware when calculating a termination cost. It's a simple formula and I think the agent you spoke to has told you a load of nonsense. Hardware is technically a free gift from the network.

The remaining months less VAT and with a 2% discount - that's how a termination fee is arrived at. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

AnnS

Yes @jeffkinn

Early termination charges are based on the monthly line rental charges but where a flexi upgrade is concerned, Vodafone still need to recoup the cost of providing the hardware in the flexi upgrade charge.