Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Use phone number abroad

rafaelclp
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I went on a 3-4 month long vacation. I'm currently a customer of SMARTY (powered by Three), and I was recently informed that if I don't return to the UK, my number will be frozen in a few weeks. Apparently, they limit us to 2 months abroad, after which our number is frozen until our return. I'm really mad about it, since I need the phone number for 2-fac purposes (mainly bank accounts, almost everything else works through Authenticators nowadays). I always get a local SIM for 4G and local phone calls, but I absolutely need my UK sim for text messages.

I know Vodafone Portugal doesn't have this limitation, but does anyone know if Vodafone UK has it? I.e. can I only stay abroad for 2 months in a row before my number is frozen, or can I stay indefinitely?

I'm considering just transferring my number to it and asking a friend to mail me the SIM card, this way I don't have to return to the UK just to unfreeze my number.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Vodafone do have a Fair Usage Policy @rafaelclp

This can be found in https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/global-roaming

It's within the link above near the bottom under How long can I roam for.

An d some information here " Use of our services while in Zone A, Zone B (excluding the UK) and Zone C (for customers using their inclusive roaming that is included in their monthly charge) is intended for temporary, periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks.

We will monitor and check your roaming use. If, during any 4 month period, you roam in Zone A, B or C for 62 days or more AND your corresponding roaming usage exceeds your usage within the UK, you may incur additional roaming charges. We will send you notification two weeks prior to charging you any additional roaming charges, to allow you time to adjust your usage accordingly.

These additional roaming charges will be:

£0.033 per minute for calls

£0.01p per SMS

£3.13 per 1GB of data

You will still be able to receive calls and texts from friends and relatives at no extra cost"

Vodafone say roaming is for temporary periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks. 

Costs-and-charges/travelling-abroad. 

I hope that helps. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Vodafone do have a Fair Usage Policy @rafaelclp

This can be found in https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/global-roaming

It's within the link above near the bottom under How long can I roam for.

An d some information here " Use of our services while in Zone A, Zone B (excluding the UK) and Zone C (for customers using their inclusive roaming that is included in their monthly charge) is intended for temporary, periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks.

We will monitor and check your roaming use. If, during any 4 month period, you roam in Zone A, B or C for 62 days or more AND your corresponding roaming usage exceeds your usage within the UK, you may incur additional roaming charges. We will send you notification two weeks prior to charging you any additional roaming charges, to allow you time to adjust your usage accordingly.

These additional roaming charges will be:

£0.033 per minute for calls

£0.01p per SMS

£3.13 per 1GB of data

You will still be able to receive calls and texts from friends and relatives at no extra cost"

Vodafone say roaming is for temporary periodic travel such as holidays and short breaks. 

Costs-and-charges/travelling-abroad. 

I hope that helps. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for the reply! Is this also in the 36-month Red plans? Or is this UK only?

I'm asking because my brother signed the Red 36-months with Vodafone Portugal, then moved to the UK. They would neither accept a cancellation withou a hefty fee, nor a transfer to Vodafone UK, so he decided to keep using it anyway. It'll soon be 2 years and it's still working fine. He hasn't been in Portugal since, only UK and very recently Brazil and Sweden.

BandOfBrothers

They wouldn't be able to have transferred the account to Vodafone Uk as they are not linked even though they both use the Vodafone brand name.

Vodafone Portugal will have their own Term and conditions and roaming terms / roaming fair usage policies.

If you look at the available tariffs on the Vodafone website it also shows what's included in regards to roaming usage. 

Use the link i added which shows what's available for Vodafone Uk Contracts. Including applicable Roaming.

costs-and-charges/travelling-abroad  and https://www.vodafone.co.uk/roaming update 

Current Phone  >

Thank you, I'll check those links. I was just wondering because sometimes something is in the contract but is not enforced, so I was wondering if that could have been the case with my brother's.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

They wouldn't be able to have transferred the account to Vodafone Uk as they are not linked even though they both use the Vodafone brand name.

A bit off-topic, but... yeah, they lied to him. He was in Portugal just temporarily before coming to the UK and he only signed the contract because the guy guaranteed with full confidence my brother could transfer to Vodafone UK later on when he moved. Considering something similar happened to me in Brazil once (with a Brazilian provider, not Vodafone), I'm starting to think this is common practice everywhere and with all companies. Never trust what the guy selling you the product/service says, they will lie if that gets you to sign the contract.

BandOfBrothers

If the Vodafone Representative told him that and they put this in writing so it can be proved then a case of mis selling could be brought to try to end the contract without any early termination fee, but without this it would be a case of his word against theirs I'm afraid. 

Vodafone Portugal I'm not sure if they provide a cooling off period but it's a good idea to get things like this clarified before one is locked in @rafaelclp

With Vodafone Uk if it's in the small print and terms then even if Vodafone Uk don't enforce it, always assume they can if they want. 

Current Phone  >