Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using data allowance as home Wifi

dhanwell
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I've just moved into a new flat and am waiting to have broadband installed (2/3 weeks).

At the moment I'm able to use my laptop by tethering off my phone - however, the signal outside of the living room is spotty, meaning that I have to keep my phone permanently in the living room when I am using the laptop elsewhere.

I'd also like to be able to use my Chromecast but that, of course, requires your phone to be on Wi-fi - which is obviously impossible when you're tethering. 

My question, in short, is this: is it possible to set up some kind of pseudo-modem using my phone's data allowance in another device (such as another phone)?  What I have at the moment is fine and this is the epitome of a First World problem, but it would be nice to be able to properly use my phone's data allowance in a standard WiFi router way.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Cheers

1 REPLY 1

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I'm not sure.  I'm also not sure whether using a Chromecast requires the phone to be on wifi, or merely for there to be a wifi network for the Chromecast itself to log into.   With the phone's hotspot activated, can you see that as a network on the Chromecast set-up?   If so, can you log into it as normal?

If you can do this, it might work, but do be aware that the data usage is likely to be considerable.  Going over your allowance can be expensive, so it would be best to make sure the data cap is activated on your account and to add extra packs as required.