main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Pay monthly

Uswitch deals and existing customers

4: Newbie

Hi all

My contract has just run out so I’d now like to keep my existing handset and go SIM free. After logging into my account I’ve been offered unlimited texts 500 mins and 500mb data for £13.50 per month.

If I look at Uswitch I can get unlimited texts, 3gb data and unlimited minutes for £8.00 per month.

Having spoken to Vodafone I’m told that the Uswitch deal doesn’t count for much, although when clicking the link it takes me directly to Vodafone’s website. I’m told that if I want to take up this deal I’ll need to cancel my contract, (I’m no longer in contract!), I’ll lose my existing mobile number, and then have to rejoin Vodafone.

Is this for real? It just feels like Vodafone as usual, try to make it as difficult as possible to give you a better deal.

Customer service like this really turns me off!

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
17: Community Champion

Hi @Goochster

When you go through an affiliate window and are redirected to the Vodafone website, the deal still comes from the third party and due to the extra commission they receive from the network for new contracts, they will only provide SIM only contracts with a new number

For this reason, as when taking out a contract with a new number through any third party, you will need to ask Vodafone to cancel your existing contract and transfer the number to PAYG, this will take 30 days to complete after which time you can transfer to the new third party contract.  Alternatively, ask Vodafone for a PAC code, migrate the number to an alternative network on PAYG and port back in to the new third party contract.

The only way to avoid this is to upgrade the same number.

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Ask for your PAC, and you will probably get a text saying to call, then call and negotiate a better deal.

If you don't, just ignore the PAC and everything carries on as normal.

Just make sure you get evidence of any deals you are offered.

View more options

Hi @Goochster

I would certainly try @chistery suggestion. 

Call 191 and choose the 'Thinking of Leaving' option and ask for the retention team. 

They'll be in a position to discuss your options. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
4: Newbie

Thanks all.

Like I said Vodafone make it as difficult as possible for you to get a good deal.  

View more options

Vodafone's offers to direct customers do not differentiate between new and existing customers, unlike BT for instance where new customers get much better deals.

But like all retailers they have several ways to get to the market other than direct sales. Stores like Carphone Warehouse are one channel and using what is called affiliate marketing is another channel and sites like uSwitch, Quidco and Topcashback are examples of affiliate marketing channels. They are designed to generate new connections meaning people from other networks or churn. If you are already a Vodafone client you cannot upgrade via these sites as they are designed for new connections only. That's the price you have to pay for getting better deals than are available directly through the network.

It isn't Vodafone being difficult - it's marketing and how retailers choose to interact with the market.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
12: Established

It kind of is being difficult because it knows how people work. People are inherently lazy and want an easy life that's why the majority of customers stay where they are.

The same reason applies to things like car/house insurance or energy bills. If you want the best value then you have to be a 'new' customer all the time which means moving companies or, in this instance, becoming a 'new' customer and moving a current account to PAYG or other network before transferring the number back.  It seems to some like a lot of effort and inconvenience when in fact it's not.

Companies play on this hence why loyalty is not rewarded and new customers get the best deals.

View more options
This isn’t quite true is it. If you are a BT customer and upgrade directly with them you are not eligible for the same prices as new customers. Vodafone directly doesn’t differentiate between new and existing customers. If you choose to go through a third party it’s a different matter and they can and do reduce their prices to encourage churn. I’ve lived in the affiliate marketing world and I know how it works.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options