Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone 5G

Whomp_Whomp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

What I love about Vodafone is that none of the staff appear to actually know whats going on. You can ask the same question in store, online, to the social media team, and the customer services on the phone and get four different answers 😕

I'm being sent a sim card in the post, from Vodafone customer services, who claim I can use the 5G network, at full speed, on my existing plan, without any plan change, without any upgrades, without any contract extensions, just as before.

Can anyone confirm is this is actually possible?

20 REPLIES 20

And to add to the confusion, the Twitter team also say I need a 5G plan.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Whomp_Whomp - you'll need a 5G capable plan and phone to connect to our 5G network. I'm really sorry that there's been any confusion. It states on the website here, just to clear things up.

Have you posted your username on your Twitter conversation? If not, please do so; then I can find your conversation and get this misadvice fed back to help our customer journey in the future. 

TJ

To save any further possible confusion @Whomp_Whomp, you can also check if your plan is 5G ready using your My Vodafone app. It's a little hard for us to be 100% sure here on the Vodafone Community, without seeing your plan first hand.

If you access the app and go to Current Charges, then Plans - you can see in your Inclusive Extras 👍

Thanks for the reply.

Tonight I logged into my Vodafone Account and looked at my plan, which I have copied and pasted below...

Line rental - £42.00
Unlimited UK minutes
500 international minutes to EU
Unlimited texts
80GB Data
77 roam-free destinations
20GB additional data
5G
Discount: £12 off plan

Can someone explain what "5G" means on the second to last line ?

5G means that your plan currently supports the 5G service, and is not a speed restricted service, which backs up what the Irish advisor told you the other evening

TJ

Thanks for that @Whomp_Whomp, it's much easier when you can see the plan. 5G is included in your plan, when did you take it out? All of our plans from a certain point are 5G ready, they don't need to be the Unlimited ones. Do you have a 5G ready phone too, as you'll also need this to get connected?

I don't think they can I was told by one adviser 5g was not available through vodafone yet. They all lie to get money out of you,, strange they can add 5g if you pay more and they rename it a 5g plan. But it is not true 5g as,they,can throttle it back to speeds slower than 5g and charge you more 

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

What phone have you got, Whomp_Whomp?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As @TJ mentioned @Rob656, all our current plans include a 5G service. If you joined us or upgraded after mid July, this should be included in your plan, depending on the model of phone you're using and your location, this will be available to you. So we can take a look into why this isn't, pop us a private message via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK, with your name, mobile number and a brief description of your issue and we'll be happy to help.

@Whomp_Whomp wrote:

I visited a Vodafone 5G site this evening, yet the phone didn't pick up any 5G coverage 😕

Like I mentioned earlier a person pretty much needs to be a 5G module and then its hit and miss.

Also from what I've read 5G won't drastically improve surfing speeds etc but instead comes in handy for downloading large files faster.

That said I appreciate you want it working and see the 5G icon in your phones status bar.

5G is still very much in its infancy in my opinion @Whomp_Whomp 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.