cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Basics Sim Only Tariff- After 12 months?

Polojohn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

What happens after 12 months on a "Basics" Sim Only Tariff? can you stay on the contract or do you have to move on to a more "standard" deal?

Can you sign up for another 12 months or is it then rolling each month, or do you have to leave it.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Polojohn 

Contracts are for a minimum term and not a maximum term, at the end of 12 months the contract will roll over on a month to month basis.

However, at that price you can afford to commit for a further 12 months, but it would be worth bearing in mind there is no roaming or any other incentives when going through an affiliate.  The problem when sighning up to a contract through an affiliate, is keeping the number, you will need to request a PAC from Vodafone, port out temporarily and back in on the new Basics contract.

Hi,

Thanks for the great info, I think I might go ahead with it as the price is good and worth the effort of sorting out the phone number.  For the first year the £6 for 2Gb is going to cover what I need. I noticed that the checkout describes it as 500MB contract with free data add on's of 500MB and 1GB (making the 2 GB).

Its not clear if this is a promotional additional 1.5G Free data upgrade for a year and then it will drop to 500MB after 12 months or if its permanent 2G indefinitely. Do you know?

Which brings me onto my last thought........ If I needed more data in the future do you know if I can change from one "Basics" deal to another "Basics" deal. I've read the detail and think there could be a £20 plan change charge but I am not sure if its even possible.

Thanks again.

AnnS

Hi @Polojohn 

Basics are cheap enough but are offered by an affiliate and not something  available direct from the Vodafone website, you really need to ask the affiliate to clarify all the terms and answer questions.

There should b a contact us link on the affiliate website where they can address all enquiries.

Hi

I have taken another look at the affiliate site and it links to a Vodafone site that links to this forum.  https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/basics.

The affiliate site does not make it clear that its acting as an affiliate either, its a review of the Vodafone basics package and (probably) an affiliate link to the address above. It looks like the contract is definitely with Vodafone even though its not well publicized or supported eg the online chat team couldn't access any details about it.

Im getting of topic, I really just wanted to update for anyone else reading in the future that there is a FAQ that I missed on the Vodafone basics tariff page. In that it says after 12 months you can move to another Basics sim or at any point you can move to a regular sim only deal. Looks like im good to give it a go.

I know this thread is 3 years old but what do you mean bu “Affiliate”  Switch site like USwitch, or MVNO like Lebara? 

AFAIK getting a Basics plan via USwitch takes you to Vodafone website and is a “proper” contract and I understood I can upgrade in Feb, or continue or upgrade at the end.  Having to port out and back in  is weird surely? 

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

As our OP is classed as a Vodafone customer, it really is going to be worthwhile looking at the VeryMe SIM offers.  Those offers are head and shoulders above what you get on the basics!

Thank you, but that bit about porting out of basics contract  and porting back in must be wrong surely, even if I approached Voda from USwitch?  That was my question. 

AnnS

As you have mentioned this thread is 3 years old, the information has changed and is not up to date. This is the webpage with up to date information.  SIM only made simple with Vodafone Basics | Vodafone UK

You would be able to take out a new additional line for a Basic contract with a new number.

Unless things have changed, if you are on a standard contract, you can't upgrade to a Basic contract. You can't port Vodafone to Vodafone and that will be the reason for porting out and back in on the new Basic contract.  The other alternative is to request Vodafone to put the number on PAYG and take out a Basic contract when the number moves. 

There is additional information here: Keep My Number 

Ah OK. No,  I would only UPgrade from Basics to liwest data Red to get 5G which I was amazed didn’t come with Basics plan. I should have guessed that moving from GiffGaff to Vodafone to get more data for less money would have a snag! The six month upgrade offer will be welcome.