Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone & their total inability to make WiFi calling a simple thing

Soofla
10: Established
10: Established

I just don't get how a company as large as Vodafone are so inept when it comes to WiFi calling and actually getting it enabled on a device. Until two days ago I was using a Galaxy S6 which had WiFi calling enabled. It took a total of 2 months from the date of purchase to get WiFi calling working.

Two days ago I purchased a Galaxy S8. Not from Vodafone, however i@m told that requirement for WiFi calling is no longer in effect. I log into my account and switch on WiFi calling (having switched it off just prior to switching my S6 off for the last time).

I wait, and nothing. No option on the S8 to enable WiFi calling - no surprise there.

I then made the mistake of contacting live chat. Nearly an hour later and I've lost the will to live as I'm being told by the "scripted support" how to enable it on my device, what to check where to find it.

I then call 191 and I'm told that I need to text CALLING to 97888 and that within 2hrs I'll receive an "invisible update". I'll probably need to restarrt my phone, but that will be it. WiFi calling will be setup.

2hrs later, nothing. 3hrs later, nothing. We're now at 7hrs later and you can probably guess - still no WiFi calling option on the S8.

How can this be so difficult? How can a large telco not have a system where settings are simply pushed out to devices when they are requested from a compatible phone on a compatible tarrif?

I'm guessing at 7:00pm I will now have to wait until tomorrow or even Monday before I waste my time yet agin over the phone trying to get somebody to sort this issue out. As I said, it took 2 months when I first started this contract on my S6 to get the feature working, I have no doubt it will take the same amount of time again.
November 27th is the last day of my contract - it's worth mentioning that customers on EE seem to be able to get their WiFi service up and running immediately. Funny that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wwhyte92
7: Helper

I completely agree. In a similiar vein I have been told that the branded phone requirements were no longer in effect, but then when actually trying to get WIFI calling on my Pixel 2 it doesn't work in the slightest. Live Chat don't have a clue and upon emailing CS I was told it can't be done for unbranded devices.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

wwhyte92

I completely agree. In a similiar vein I have been told that the branded phone requirements were no longer in effect, but then when actually trying to get WIFI calling on my Pixel 2 it doesn't work in the slightest. Live Chat don't have a clue and upon emailing CS I was told it can't be done for unbranded devices.

Update:

Wwhyte92's post is NOT, i repeat is NOT the correct sollution. My post above is the correct sollution.

I want to add more help for everyone:

Once you get the calling over Wifi option to appear in your phone settings after an OTA update, you then have to switch it on.

2 problems then occur:

1) Vodafone's Call over Wifi only kicks in when there is no phone reception. So it is deadly useless. You need to turn on flight mode then connect to your wifi to use it!! Having only 1 bar of phone reception is not usable in a practical setting and you can't remember to keep manually turning Flight Mode on and off on a busy day. Other providers like EE have a WiFi preferred option, but Vodafone does not. However, there is a workaround...

So, you can download a little app from Google Play Store called " VoWifi ". It is free but has adverts which is no problem because it is a "set and forget" app. You need to set the Option in the app to " WiFi preferred " and then your Call over Wifi will always use the Wifi over the Mobile Network when it can.. Works a Treat!!

2) You get an annoying system level notification pop up on the top left of your phone whenever the call over wifi turns on. It is impossible to turn this off as it is a systrm level notification and the option to disable it is greyed out!!

To fix this annoying little problem (A problem unique to Vodafone's Call over Wifi) you need to install a little app called " nCleaner " .. get it from Google Play Store. Its free and takes no phone resources. 

I only hope my solutions will help someone else out there, because Vodafone have no idea what is going on but to be fair, the staff are probably not paid enough to care! 😅🤣

Have fun everyone!

Peace.

MarkG
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Soofla 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

I have a Samsung A52s 5G ...

Same problem re: calling over wifi .. setting does not exist, yet if i throw an ID sim in, presto .. there it is in my phone.

3 days of hassling Vodafone, nobody understands how to send the OTA configuration update to provision call over wifi.. 

Their call centre is incompetent!

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @paulej - I understand how important it is to stay connected and Wi-Fi Calling can really help to do that. 
We're only able to offer support on our services with our SIM cards in the device, I don't have any information on why your phone wouldn't show this setting when you remove the SIM card. You can view more information on setting it up via our online Device Guides. 
You can also check it's enabled on you account via the My Vodafone app - simply head to Manage Bras and Extras on the main page > Wi-Fi and 4G Calling. 

If you'd like us to check your account to make sure everything's okay, please come and speak to us via social media - and if you include a link to your post, you won't need to repeat yourself either 🙂 

You obviously did not read my post properly nor did you place my post into the context of the heading of this thread!

The setting in my phone Samsung A52s 5G does NOT sppear when YOUR pay as you go Vodafone SIM is inserted into my said phone.

However i have now tried SIMS from 2 other providers: EE and ID, both of which are also pay as you go and both of which correctly display the Calling Over WiFi option on my phone.

Vodafone tech dept will only send the required OTA configuration for my handset to Pay Monthly SIM accounts, they refuse to send the settings to my Vodafone pay as you go SIM, stating very sharply that Vodafone do NOT support Call over Wifi to Vodafone Pay as you go customers. 

This is clearly false.

Vodafone disconnected my reliable 3G Sure Signal Box with the promise call over WiFi is now offered on pay as you go SIMs.

Yes, it is already enabled on my account - No, the setting to turn it on, on my handset is not there!!

To fix it, you need to send an OTA update to provision my handset for Call over Wifi... however, your tech dept says your system does not allow it for pay as you go customers. Only Pay Monthly!!!

Around and around and around in circles we go!!

Am now going to have to switch to a more competent provider!

Good luck!!

Attention Everybody, including Vodafone management!!

I was just about to get a new EE pay as you go SIM today but before i did, i rang 191 and spoke with a pay as you go agent from Egypt.

I told him i was leaving Vodafone and he quized me.

So i explained my problem which i outlined in my last post above.

The guy was amazing, understood the problem completely, saying he also uses a sure signal box to get reception.

So then, he puts me on hold and speaks with some Tech person also from Alexandria in Egypt on my behalf, about this problem.

Then he puts me through to him.

This tech guy has " all access " to the Vodafone settings. He used the word ummm " full clearances " i think.

So this tech guy could send the OTA network configuration for my Samsung A52s 5G handset which was purchased Direct from Samsung .. NOT from Vodafone. I am running a Pay as You Go Vodafone SIM .... NOT Pay Monthly!!

Anyway while i was still on the line he made me check my handset to see if the OTA update worked.. So i checked and BEHOLD ... like magic, the Calling Over WiFi option appeared on my handset!!

This tech guy was able to Send the OTA update on my Pay As You go SIM when nobody else in Vodafone was able to!!

Always you get told the OTA update can only be sent to Non - Vodafone purchased handsets if you are on Pay Monthly ONLY ...

ATT VODAFONE ... you have it in your power to fix this with better staff training!!

A huge thank you to this tech guy in Egypt. I can now stay with Vodafone and use my brand new Samsung A52s 5g .. which was purchased direct from Samsung, with Call Over Wifi Feature on my Vodafone Pay as you go SIM.

Well Done!!