Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone charging me £2151 for using data when I have Global Roaming Plus

lmcculloch88
2: Seeker

I arrived for a much needed holiday in the USA yesterday and got the usual text from Vodafone saying I had Global Roaming Plus and could use my minutes, texts and data at no extra charge.

Later that day got a text to say I'd hit the £39.01 monthly spending limit for data whilst abroad which I thought was odd, logged onto my account to find extra charges of £2151.50 for using 0.32MB of data..... tried phoning and it is a 3-hour wait. Tried online chat and no agents are available. 

Anyone got any advice on this, its already ruining my holiday.

28 REPLIES 28

I've just seen some posts on their UK Facebook page asking for people to DM them with their details. Sent mine across as I've still not been able to get in touch with their customer services team. I guess they're a little busy right now! Anyway, fingers crossed. 

simonpower
1: Seeker

I had the same having been away in roaming free eu countries (Portugal & Czeck Republic). Finally got a call back and they confirmed it was a technical issue impacting many clients and I would not be liable. Also they sent a text confirming this:

Hello ,
Thanks for your call and your understanding ,All of the money that is showing on the account it is going to be credited and refunded back to you and you are not going to be charged for roaming and just ignore all of the text messages we already resolved the issues and if you please restart your device , the services will be working fine.
Best Regards,
Vodafone.

Mike17610

I received an SMS yesterday saying I owed £1495 for data roaming charges in France yet I have a roam free pack for Europe and in fact have only used 0.5GB of my monthly 18GB data. I called complaints who said it was a technical issue affecting overseas and that the charges will be rectified at the next billing period.

I got another text today, 14th Oct,  asking for money to unblock my phone. I called complaints again who said that it was a technical problem and people are Vodafone are working on it to resolve and to ignore the texts.

I am not doing anything and will not pay any extra.

Thanks

Pink273

Help!  Me too - got stuck on holiday last week with no phone usage and the same warning messages.  Very worrying, so tried to call Vodafone and suffered the same issue of not being able to get through.  Terrified a stupid amount of money is going to be taken from my account!

Vodafone - please reassure customers that this will be sorted out immediatley and no extra charges will be incurr on our accounts. 

The one and only day we have ever needed roaming to work - daughter stuck on an 8 hour overnight stopover at Beijing airport, no means of contacting anybody, and phone refusing to connect to the dodgy airport wifi. Didn't even get the warning texts until landing at Heathrow (probably a good thing, would have freaked her out)

Compensation had better be good.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all 👋 We’re really sorry that some customers could not use data or calling services when roaming recently. Some roaming customers are also receiving billing messages in error. We've been working through these as an urgent priority and are removing any errors from customer accounts. You will not be charged for these incorrect amounts and you don’t need to worry about contacting us as we are proactively checking accounts and fixing any issues. This may take some time but we’ve been working hard fix it as quickly as we can.

Malina

Just to add my name to the list, I too have had my calls, texts etc cut off because of unexpectedly high data usage. I am in Greece, on holiday trying to keep in contact with home because of House sale issues and Vodafone do this! I see it has been reported on the BBC and other news media. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Malina Everything's been sorted now and your service should be reconnected. If not, pop us a message through Facebook or Twitter and we'll get your service back up and running whilst you enjoy a bit of site seeing or just relax by the pool ☀️