Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone charging me £2151 for using data when I have Global Roaming Plus

lmcculloch88
2: Seeker

I arrived for a much needed holiday in the USA yesterday and got the usual text from Vodafone saying I had Global Roaming Plus and could use my minutes, texts and data at no extra charge.

Later that day got a text to say I'd hit the £39.01 monthly spending limit for data whilst abroad which I thought was odd, logged onto my account to find extra charges of £2151.50 for using 0.32MB of data..... tried phoning and it is a 3-hour wait. Tried online chat and no agents are available. 

Anyone got any advice on this, its already ruining my holiday.

28 REPLIES 28

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @lmcculloch88 

The first thing I can think of is using your phone in flight, for using the aircrafts own network, you would have been charged £7.20 per mb.

There is also a 25mb roaming data limit on the account and anything over will be chargeable.

Vodafone also place a credit limit on the account and this would have stopped you using any further data untill the account was brought back within the credit limit.

I know it's hard for you not to worry but this is an unbilled charge, wait until you are back in the UK and have received the bill, this will give you something to go on when you raise this with Customer Services.

hi

i have global roaming plus which allows me to use my data limit of 100GB per month in the USA so there should be no charge.

the charge on the account says £2151.50 for 0.32MB of data. 

Hello! 

Same issue here, though I'm currently data roaming in the Czech Republic (which is a free data roaming location).

Had a text saying I'd spent more than usual... Checked and have a bill for £3772!!! My heart sank when I saw it. Been unable to get through to Vodafone all day so its been quite stressful to say the least. Glad to hear its a technical issue. Not a happy bunny.

James. 

They are abroad too. They just panic. Vodaphone should put on twitter or the web there is an issue to put peoples minds at ease. 

rvsm

The same has happened to me today. £533 charge.  I've got data caps on.

Contacted Vodafone. There is a techncial issue effecting online accounts.

Unfortunately my account has now been suspended so unable to use phone except on wifi. They'd better get it sorted soon and remove the charges.

Take a look on Community tab on Vodafone UK facebook page or twitter and you will see others are having same issue. One person has a £7800 bill!!!

Laughingcow

Hi. I have just had my dad message to say his data is £5800. He is 68 years old. It better be a technical issue and if so. They should annouce it to stop people from worrying. 

peterwilkins

I've got exactly the same issue. On holiday in Spain and suddenly £182 data charge has been applied to my account for using less than 1Gb of a 30Gb allowance. Been on hold for customer services for over 90 minutes

I've now been on hold for over 90 minutes. How do I contact customer services?