Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone charging me £2151 for using data when I have Global Roaming Plus

lmcculloch88
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I arrived for a much needed holiday in the USA yesterday and got the usual text from Vodafone saying I had Global Roaming Plus and could use my minutes, texts and data at no extra charge.

Later that day got a text to say I'd hit the £39.01 monthly spending limit for data whilst abroad which I thought was odd, logged onto my account to find extra charges of £2151.50 for using 0.32MB of data..... tried phoning and it is a 3-hour wait. Tried online chat and no agents are available. 

Anyone got any advice on this, its already ruining my holiday.

28 REPLIES 28

They've also disabled the phone number so unable to use other than on wifi

StefanOnTour
3: Seeker

Currently in the USA. At 13:20hrs EST had two messages to say my monthly spend is higher than normal. I pay the £6 per day roaming charge on my package. Checked the Vodafone app and my current charge is £2046. Tried to call Vodafone but got disconnected after 45 minutes in a queue. App also says I've got 500MB of my 500MB allowance left. Been here 5 days and for 4 days it's been on WiFi. Phone now showing "No Service", so I'm assuming I've been cut off. No emails from Vodafone about getting disconnected. Apart from this thread, can't find anything from Vodafone online to say they're aware of a problem, or they're dealing with it. 

Eventually I got through to a live chat assistant who said "have checked the details and we are aware of the issue that you and many customers are facing, there are some billing issues with the server and many customer have complained about this and we have escalated this issue to the higher team" 

Vodafone should be contacting all affected customers as a matter of priority or putting some information out!

Thanks for the update and your time in trying to get hold of someone, lmccullock88!

I've got myself a beer to calm my nerves. Let's hope for all of us that it will be sorted very soon.

wife had zero additiinal charges this morning, in the afternoon it was over 8K, without using the phone. I got charged 650 quid while still within my allowances. happened on returning from Greece. unable to get hold of customer services for a couple of hours now. this is sick.

7 hours after requesting a call back rather than waiting in the queue I have received said call back but have now been waiting 20 mins despite being "top priority" and that my call is "number 1 in the queue"

also just received a text about my account maybe being suspended due to the unusual charge. Disgusting service by Vodafone. Day 1 of my holiday is ruined. 

My boyfriend and I have had exactly the same thing happen. Have come back from a week in Cyprus to find additional charges of c. £450 and £600 each. Not the best way to end the holiday! Tried calling Vodafone and on hold for 40 mins before giving up and then found all the other messages.  A notification of some kind to those affected would have been appropriate rather than making everyone worry. Plus I can’t use my phone other than on WiFi so something needs to be sorted pronto. Dreadful customer service and unfortunately this isn’t the first time.

StefanOnTour

Hi Vodafone Forum Team,

Can we have some acknowledgement and an update on this situation?

The number of views to this post suggests many others are affected and are keeping an eye out for updates. For those of us abroad, this is simply a nightmare. Not only are we seeing excessively high charges on our accounts, some of us have had our phone service suspended. I can't speak for everyone that has commented or viewing this post, but for myself, I can't run the risk of going out without having a working phone for reassurance it's there if I need it. I'm on holiday and right now I feel housebound until further notice. 

Please Vodafone, even if it's just a simple update to say it's in hand, to hear something is better than nothing. 

VodafoneUK have tweeted to say that there is an issue and I am just off the phone with Vodafone Customer Care who say they are working on the issue right now.

The app and login website are both "down for maintenance" so I hope this means that they are resolving the issue.

it seems many accounts, including my own, were suspended but I now have service again. 

hoping to wake up tomorrow with it all resolved though that won't get today back! 

after several very unpleasant hours finally got it sorted through a human assistant in a chat.

vodafone probably has a few heart attacks on their conscience.

shame they don't work proactively and don't own up publicly.