Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone's inclusive roaming after Brexit

User2303
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey, I know that Vodafone currently has inclusive roaming on all of their latest Red and Red Value bundles. But does anyone know what will happen to this service after Brexit? Not all the countries in their inclusive roaming zone are in the EU. My question is whether it is likely that this service will continue for just those countries, all of the countries or not at all? Any opinions on this matter are appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Does anyone know what will happen after Brexit full stop?

No one knows and the network certainly won't tell us what contingency plans it may be considering.

The return of mobile bill shocks is a distinct possibility but we have at least a couple of years to worry about it so any contracts taken out now won't be affected.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Well, Scotland will be added to the list, won't it?  Hang on, what about all the scottish customers who won't have roaming enabled for England.  Will there be an invisible radio barrier erected along the full length of Hadrian's wall to stop the sassenachs using the new free to all mobile phone network now being planned in the Scottish Parliament?

I think I'll worry about that and anything else to do with leaving the EU when the dust has settled.

(I'm only joking about Scotland!!)

jeffkinn

The actual situation exists now in Northern Ireland, and there have to be special arrangements in place to ensure that people don't get a shock from roaming on an Irish Republic network without realising it.

It's also not unknown for people on the south coast to pick up a pesky French network unwittingly.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I'd be interested to see how this is going to work out but let's give Vodafone a little credit here, they offered inclusive roaming before it became mandatory.

They've offered free (well inclusive) roaming in places outside the EU such as Switzerland and Turkey when other networks still charge a fortune for those countries. Also the World Traveller prop is really cool for rest of world roaming (although when did UAE stop being included?) so I think we should all work on the assumption that nothing bad is going to happen.

From June, everyone gets inclusive roaming (at least for the next couple of years whilst Brexit is being agreed) so if anything changes, it just means we have to shop around in 2019.

3 has already committed to roam free charges after Brexit. Vodafone was the first to abolish the charge even before the roaming charge ruling was made so kudos to them, that said let's not forget the years of charges providers did sting us for prior to this rule just for crossing a boarder. As much as I like Vodafone, I'll be changing all 3 of my accounts if they revert back to roaming charges simple as that.

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

If some of the more dismal predictions are correct, you may be more preoccupied with getting food on your table than worrying about roaming costs. Except, of course, that popping abroad may be the only option for getting a square meal, in which case it would be nice to phone friends and family without undue cost in order to describe the food.