cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone sent me (USA citizen, non-customer) someone else's Direct Debit confirmation

novodausa
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good day,

I recieved an email confirmation of a derict debit setup with Vodafone which included a lot of customer sensitve information.  I am a US citizen and have no service with Vodafone.  The links in the e-mail also appear to be legitimate (http://email.vodafone.co.uk/re?l=XXX) 

I am posting here because when I Google searched for a similar occurance I saw an exact post in this forum that happened to someone else about a year ago.  I have attached the redacted version of the email that was sent to me.  What should I do? 

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Vodafone UK take this sort of error very seriously due to new regulations and will want to ensure this does not happen again.

One of the Vodafone Social Media Team here will engage with you once they've caught up with your thread 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks!  I will montior the thread closely.

hrym

I read a news story recently (can't find it now, sadly) about the dangers of mistyping your email address, resulting in sensitive information being sent to other people.   I can see how a system could cross-refer accounts in its database, but not how it could concoct a valid address for a non-customer.  I'm just wondering whether finger trouble is the cause here?

Hang on for the forum team, who'll be able to take the details you have privately and investigate.   Clearly this needs to be fixed, whatever the cause.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

To be fair, it sounds like someone has entered your email rather than their own in error when they've placed an order on the Vodafone website hence you receiving the confirmations.

Not something Vodafone could be in control of.

I'm a British citizen, non-customer and went through a period where I'd get confirmations of my gym classes in New York, assumingly for the same reason, the customer there had inputted their own email incorrectly.

It stopped eventually! And I never attended a single class, too far to travel.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@novodausa I don't think that's one of our website links, but obviously it's always worth looking into, especially when another customer's details look to be included. 

We'd need to know your email address and the other details included in the email in order to proceed. As this is a public forum, please contact us directly using the link in my private message

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 😊