cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone stopped taking direct debit, then slapped me with default on credit file

Tomgooner123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I’m new to this so please bare with me...

my troubles arised when I went to apply for a mortgage, I’ve read a very similar post on here regarding the same thing.

however, I took out a contract in 2015... all good, paying my direct debit as I should and without me knowing Vodafone stopped taking payments In June/July 2016. This was a 24 month contract. 

There was no communication from Vodafone to myself to make me aware that they had stopped taking payment and therefore I hadn’t noticed.  

The ipad and services of the contract werent put on hold or suspended, so I expected everything to be ok. 

As I wasn’t aware of any of this occurring I just let it carry on. The bill was roughly £15pm so not every much and I never noticed it leaving my bank.

now, in June/July they changed their payment processing systems and in turn it messed things up. (articles covered by Martin Lewis at moneysavingexpert.com)  which I believe I was caught in. 

Vodafone have put a default on my credit file because obviously I wasn’t paying the bill, when in actual fact I was, just Vodafone stopped taking the money or had removed my payment details without communicating with me to correct what had gone wrong.

im a bit stuck as to where to turn at the moment, Customer service have told me to contact the payments team which I’m going to do this weekend and go from there.

has anyone got any advice or tips that could possibly help me.

this is ultimately effecting my ability to purchase a house with my partner 

4 REPLIES 4

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi @Tomgooner123

Are your bills now up to date?

I personally wouldn't bother with the "payments team", sit tight and a member of the eForum team will be able to get in touch to discuss the incorrectly placed marker on your credit file.

BandOfBrothers

While the Vodafone Teams look into this you could add a Notice of Correction. 

Info in > Default-on-your-Credit-File-And-How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I agree with @Nabs suggestion to hang on for the forum team.   The reason for the stopped payments needs to be investigated and there are people who should be able to do this.   It's not imposible that your bank has developed a sudden suspicion of direct debits to a mobile phone company (ut's not unknown).  In that case, all Vodafone would know was that attempts to collect payment had stopped.   However, in that case, you should have received a text message to say your bill was overdue, which would alert you that something was wrong.  I had a dd issue a few years back and that was how I found out.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to see this happened and that your credit file is now affected @Tomgooner123.

Our dedicated Credit File team will be happy to take a look into this for you. So we can access your account and discuss this further, I've sent you a private message with details to contact them directly. 

We'll then be in touch.