Ask

Solution

Voicemail in a Roam Further destination

glaswegianeric
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello

As per VF website:

1) If someone leaves you a voicemail whist you are abroad, it's free. That, I assume, is true for both conditional and non-conditional diverts set to Vodafone's voicemail (as the difference isn't mentioned specifically).

2) It is free to receive a call whilst in a Roam Further destination, but calling back to the UK, triggers the daily £6 charge.

Now, the question:

If my voicemail diverts are conditional, I am in a Roam Further destination, and I miss a call and it goes to Voicemail, would that still trigger the £6 charge (because a call is essentially diverted to a UK number) or will it not (as it is supposed to be free)?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @glaswegianeric

Please see the link below.

How much does it cost to use my device abroad?

As you can see from the link, there is no charge to receive a call or texts.  You only pay the roam further charge when making a call, sending a text or downloading data, you can ask all your friends and family to call you and you won't be charged a penny.

As far as your voicemail is concerned, as you would be calling your UK voicemail box, that would be classed as making a call and would incur the £6.00 daily roam further charge.  If the divert is conditional, you would be charged for the diverted part of the call, but this will be covered by the £6.00 daily charge.

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @glaswegianeric

Please see the link below.

How much does it cost to use my device abroad?

As you can see from the link, there is no charge to receive a call or texts.  You only pay the roam further charge when making a call, sending a text or downloading data, you can ask all your friends and family to call you and you won't be charged a penny.

As far as your voicemail is concerned, as you would be calling your UK voicemail box, that would be classed as making a call and would incur the £6.00 daily roam further charge.

Hi,

Yes, I've seen that. But Vodafone also say that "You won’t be charged when someone leaves a voicemail message for you" (https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Going-and-calling-abroad/Roaming-charges/38949218/H...).

Given that they don't distinguish conditional and non-conditional diverts means they are basically saying that if someone leaves you a voicemail whilst you are abroad then it's free regardless.

But if it does trigger the £6 daily charge in Roam Further destinations then means it's not free.

It's one or the other. That's why I am confused.

AnnS

Hi @glaswegianeric

As per the link, you won't be charged when someone leaves you a voicemail.  However, to check and listen to your voicemails costs the same as a call to the UK.

If you are going to listen to your voicemail, this will trigger the £6.00 daily roam further charge.

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @glaswegianeric

As per the link, you won't be charged when someone leaves you a voicemail.  However, to check and listen to your voicemails costs the same as a call to the UK.

If you are going to listen to your voicemail, this will trigger the £6.00 daily roam further charge.

Looks like you might be just confused about it as I am :). Or maybe it's just me.

First, "If the divert is conditional, you would be charged for the diverted part of the call, but this will be covered by the £6.00 daily charge"

Then "As per the link, you won't be charged when someone leaves you a voicemail".

So, is it free or does it trigger the £6 daily charge? I mean, when your diverts to voicemail are set up as conditional and someone leaves you a message. Forget about listening to voicemail, I know it's different.

Both aforementioned links take to different parts of VF website, and the info on one seems to contradict the info on the other one

AnnS

@glaswegianeric

I am not confused but the information on the website could be made clearer.

You are only charged when making an outbound activity.

If someone leaves a VM message, you will only be charged if you call your voicemail and listed to the message, you are not charged if someone calls your number and finds the phone is off and leaves a message in your mailbox.

@AnnS wrote:

@glaswegianeric

I am not confused but the information on the website could be made clearer.

You are only charged when making an outbound activity.

If someone leaves a VM message, you will only be charged if you call your voicemail and listed to the message, you are not charged if someone calls your number and finds the phone is off and leaves a message in your mailbox.

Apologies, I just thought that diverting a call to  Voicemail (as that's what happens when someone leaves a message) would be classified as outbound activity. Whether this particular activity is exempt from the £6 daily charge rule, I wasn't too sure, as Vodafone wasn't too clear on that. 

I think this is a really good question.

I still de-activate my voicemail when I go abroad because way back when, you were charged when calls were routed to the foreign network and then diverted back to the Vodafone voicemail service in the UK.

This practise then stopped when you were roaming in the European Union which I'm guessing was something that was ruled on along the way.

However I'd be interested to know if this activity would trigger the charge or if it's free purely because you're in a Roam Further country.

This could be the case as incoming calls are free and they wouldn't be if you weren't in a Roam Free country. 

For me though, Voicemail is always off when I roam. Been stung too many times in the past 

KikiS
1: Seeker

Just been the victim of £6 charge to pick up a voicemessage by dialling 121 in a roam further destination. The call lasted 16 seconds, and there was no voicemessage in the end. 

Vodafone's roam further policy is absolutely ridiculous for people who just want to make the odd phone call lasting a minute or less, or send a couple of text messages. Instantly triggering £6 charge is outrageous. Worse still if you send an imessage while in a wifi zone but it gets "Sent as text message" instead....