main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Website security certificate coming from vodafone content control even though it's off.

3: Seeker

Ok I thought I'd pop back to this thread after initially making an appearance back on page 2 several months ago.  Since then I've been doing a bit of reading around and making enquiries, so hopefully I'm better informed.

Firstly, yes this is a MITM attack - a proxy is providing the certificate contentcontrol.vodafone.co.uk, which means that if you agree to this, your traffic is decrypted at the proxy and re-encrypted for your browser.

Secondly, do not add security exceptions for this - you don't know whether the certificates are checked properly at the proxy, so if the website is compromised, you could be too - also if any compromise of the proxy occurs, then your traffic is also compromised.

Thirdly, using the google DNS servers seems to work fine.

Finally, I still have no idea why noscript's ABE (application boundary enforcer) does not work on my home broadband, but is fine elsewhere.  I expect that vodafone are able to access your home router (given they can 'look into it' if you provide the serial number), the combination of which I find concerning.

Those of us who find this worrying need to make our voices heard in a way that others can understand.  If certain people in power have their way, we are looking at this kind of 'secure' internet being the norm in the U.K., and I feel like many people do not understand the implications of this.  Allowing the government access to our secure data is also providing the responsibility of our internet security (including our banking, troves of our data on facebook and gmail which can be used for extortion, identity theft, burglary, personal threats, accurate and real-time location information from your phone) with the government.

I have no concerns the government are interested in my boring activities, but even if you trust them not to use these powers in an underhand way against political opponents, these backdoors will be leveraged by other parties, criminals and even people who may wish us harm.

Please note I am in no way saying that vodafone are doing any of this on behalf of the government - I doubt it, given it only occurs with specific websites - but I think it should make all of us think if this is what we want in the future.

View more options
4: Newbie

Thanks for that. Personally I'll be taking all my custom - mobiles, phone, broadband away from Vodafone as soon as

possible and advising everyone else in my family to do the same.  I've been with them for years but the way they've handled this ( or rather, the way they haven't ) has really demonstrated how little they care.

View more options

Hey everyone,

I've managed to find a solution to this problem!

Today I received an e-mail from Vodafone stating that they are going to increase my monthly payments. Due to the price increase being a larger percentage than the Retail Price Index increase (presumably), it means I can leave my contract (renewal due February) without penalty.

All you need to do is call 0333 304 0905 and they will waive all termination fees.

Going to have a look at market prices this weekend. Might go back to BT, maybe also check into the new Virgin Cable that was dug past my road last month. The good thing is, whichever option I choose, I won't have this problem come August.

Cheers,

Bored.

View more options
View more options
1: Seeker

I also have this problem. really don't want to have to change ISP's again for something so seemingly simple. Has nobody found a fix still???

View more options

I moved to Plusnet and my problem's gone away. It's also £2 a month cheaper than Vodafone.

It's also fixed a packet loss issue I was having with Vodafone. Anything up to 6 times a night I would get disconnected and was picking up bans and being penalised in online games because of it.

Really happy I switched.

I did fix the issue in the end, but I set up a VPN server that connected to PrivateInternetAccess.com and routed all traffic for affected sites through that. It cost an extra £3.33 a month but that's coz I bought 12 months in advance.

View more options

bored wrote:

I did fix the issue in the end, but I set up a VPN server that connected to PrivateInternetAccess.com and routed all traffic for affected sites through that. It cost an extra £3.33 a month but that's coz I bought 12 months in advance.

How are you routing all your traffic to PIA?  Are you doing this at a router/proxy?

View more options

Agreed - while it's rubbish that Vodofone let this issue role on - changing your DNS negates their DNS straight away.

View more options

I run my own DNS server and found this not to be true.

I get different DNS responses if I tunnel my DNS requests through the VPN vs directly to Google.

It seems that even if you send your request to Google, Vodafone are redirecting DNS requests to the internal Vodafone DNS servers.

View more options
2: Seeker

A brand-new Vodafone Broadband customer here still having the exact same issue that was first reported in September 2015. It’s been almost 2 years and Vodafone's responses have honestly been laughable. They still pedal the same nonsense about 'looking into it' or 'chasing it up' even when customers have pointed out how canned and useless those statements are... incredible.

These problems follow 2 days of BT Openreach engineers having to visit multiple times due to issues activating my line which turned out to be an issue on Vodafone's end. Actually, come to think of it the issues activating my line were fixed by switching my content filter to 'off' on Vodafone support's instructions, which indicates they know it is interfering with service in some way!

As other have pointed out, Vodafone's advice to add exceptions actually creates security risks. Meanwhile, I find other customers are the ones to give reasonable solutions that actually work (i.e. using Google's DNS servers). If this is how Vodafone treat their customers, then I don't want to be giving them my money.

As a new customer, I am still within the 'cooling off' period and have the right to cancel my contract which I most certainly be doing. Vodafone, you have lost yourself an 18 month £540 contract because of your poor responses here and your inability to effectively implement content filtering. 

View more options

Good for you, mate.  I'll be doing the same in a couple of months

View more options
Administrator

@kovacs @sollybolly I'm sorry to see you're both thinking of leaving. If you'd like to discuss this with us further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options
1: Seeker

Unfortunately I cannot cancel my contract but Vodafone will be losing our multiple phone contracts and our broadband plan when the contact expires.

This is unacceptable and it looks after 2 years no fix has been provided.

View more options

Haha, yeah right. Like anything will get done if I fill in a form when nothing has been done for 2 years previously.

I knew Vodafone's bad reputation before I signed up but thought I would give it a chance. Never again! 

View more options

Exactly - I didn't bother either.  Why wast your time?

View more options

Are there any risks to using the Google DNS? I changed my DNS details yesterday but am also thinking of moving to BT ... I wonder how many other links will not work in future. I've only had Vodafone fibre for a few days and only know of imgur at the moment. And TBH, if they haven't bothered fixing something in 2 years then there's little hope of them ever fixing it.

View more options

@djkshabdsakj @vbnmu I'm sorry to hear that you're thinking of leaving us.

We'd like to take a look into your account to help - I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly so we can do this.

@sollybolly @kovacs If you change your mind, we'll be happy to take a closer look into this and help you further through the details provided in the private messages you've received.

View more options

What's all this nonsense about Private Messages and Forms?

Stop trying to secretly convince people to stay.  Why not publically acknowledge the issue, and make some moves towards solving it.  Do that, and you won't have to go crawling to people who're on the verge of leaving.

View more options

I literally joined vodafone this week (4th Oct 2017) only to discover that they're performing a MITM attack on https certificates. The 'fix' of changing the DNS servers on the router doesn't change the fact that vodafone has been caught MITM'ing peoples web traffic.

That's utterly unacceptable.

##~## vodafone?

Why is this happening? And why has it been happening for the past TWO years with no resolution?

Do I need to change my broadband provider again?

View more options

Hi @nickonline

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

View more options