main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Website security certificate coming from vodafone content control even though it's off.

2: Seeker

So it appears that Vodafone's fix to is to ask people to "get in touch

I'll update the forum with their response.

View more options
3: Seeker

Sorry, I've only just seen your message.

I have a Linux virtual machine which connects to PIA. I've set it up so it routes traffic it receives down the VPN tunnel.

All the devices on my network (except my Playstation/smart TVs) used that as the default gateway instead of the Vodafone router.

Bored.

View more options
1: Seeker

I've been having these problems on and off ever since I joined Vod about 6 months ago but have only recently contacted them to try and resolve it as it wasn't really an issue for me up until now.

Essentially their reply (eventually) is that they are following the law, Government instructions to block any potentially malicious or illegal sites such as filesharing sites etc.

End of story, no recourse etc and that all other ISP are doing the same (utter rubbish of course)

I'm only sorry my inertia has prevented me moving penalty-free elsewhere following the recent price rises.

View more options

nihilist wrote:

I've been having these problems on and off ever since I joined Vod about 6 months ago but have only recently contacted them to try and resolve it as it wasn't really an issue for me up until now.

Essentially their reply (eventually) is that they are following the law, Government instructions to block any potentially malicious or illegal sites such as filesharing sites etc.

End of story, no recourse etc and that all other ISP are doing the same (utter rubbish of course)

I'm only sorry my inertia has prevented me moving penalty-free elsewhere following the recent price rises.

Vodafone have told you two a blatent lies. The first is that they are following the law. The second is claiming that other ISPs are also inspecting content.

The law states that they must block specific websites. The law does NOT require them to inspect traffic. These are not even nearly the same things from a technical perspective. The list of websites that have been blocked by court order can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_United_Kingdom

From my own experience (an IT guy that actually deals with web filtering systems frequently), BT, Sky, TalkTalk, EE and Virgin are not inspecting encrypted content. I do not have this issue with my own supplier, PlusNet, either.

This is a fault with Vodafone's own content control system. When a cusotmer opts out of content control, their traffic should bypass the content inspection system altogether. This is not happening.

What is happening is that traffic is still being pushed through their content control system, but 'opted out' users have a rule in place which allows all content through. However, this isn't good enough because the system still needs to decrypt the traffic before it decices if the 'allow everything' rule applies. This 'man in the middle' approach is what is causing the problem.

View more options

13 days and still no response from Vodafone support...

My details were forwarded to "the a Team" who were supposed to call once they'd looked into it.

View more options

@nickonline I've taken a look into the status of your email using the email address registered to your Community profile - for further help, please respond to the email you received on 10 October 2017.

View more options

Instead of ignoring customers on a case-by-case basis.

How about you stop MiTM attacking their connections and invading their privacy?

View more options

Regrettably I'm a new customer to Vodafone (well a couple of months new anyway) and I'm having the same problems described in this thread. Wish I'd known about this before signing up to be honest.

I have to say, reading through the thread the situation and response from Vodafone is not only disappointing, it's very troubling. How an ISP can not be doing something as basic as allowing their users to access one of the most popular image hosters on the internet is beyond me. And not only that it basically amounts to a security attack on their users? it's an absurd situation. Completely laughable.

Well I've heard enough. I'll be switching ISP at the earliest possible opportunity and I will be advising others to do the same. Might I suggest others in this thread do likewise and start creating a bit of noise about this issue as it's scandalous quite frankly. Personally I'll be posting about it on social media to make friends and family aware to steer well clear and/or switch providers.

I think I'll also drop an email to some tech focused journalists to look into the problem and perhaps they can investigate, write a few pieces and make people aware of the problem. If others can be bothered to do the same and write in about their experiences I imagine it would help. Perhaps if Vodafone starts to worry they'll lose more than just a few customers and could actually lose a lot of business they'll start to act like a proper ISP and take the problem seriously instead of the mickey mouse outfit they clearly are at the moment.

Don't bother with the cut and paste responses about being sorry to hear I'm thinking of leaving or private messages about router serial numbers. It clearly doesn't work, I'm not gonna waste my time and you should be embarrassed the issue is still rumbling on. I'm off. See ya.

View more options

I did. On 10th Oct.

I got an email from Jake telling me to expect a call from "the a team."

This is NOT an individual user issue.

It's system-wide across the entire version of the internet that Vodafone presents to it's subscribers.

View more options

Contacting the media will be your only recourse with any potential of leading anywhere.

Only threatening sales will cause them to "fix" this "problem" with their implementation of censorship.

This thread will continute to be replied to with platitudes from L1 support for the next decade.

They don't care in the slightest, it's background noise. Vast majority of their customers are blissfully unaware they've been hacked by the very people they pay for internet services.

View more options

@Bootsy81 I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've faced and that you wish to leave us. 

If you'd like us to look into this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

@nickonline I've chased this up with the team who are looking into this for you and they'll be getting in touch with an update soon. 

View more options

@Colleen You really shouldn't be replying. Continuting misguided uninformed attempts to placate and lie to your customers does not improve goodwill, it would be better for your company if your L1 support staff were told to ignore this issue.

View more options

Similar issue here.

The fix suggested here... https://solarpolar.co.uk/vodafone-broadband-website-security-certificate-coming-from-vodafone-conten...

Is to switch from Vodafone DNS to Google's OpenDNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4).

I'm just about to try this out and see if it makes a difference.

View more options

Yep, I think that's fixed it. Step by step for those with the most recent Vodafone router and firmware:

Browse to 192.168.1.1 (probably)

Switch to "Expert Mode" (lol)

Choose "Internet" tab

Choose DNS/DDNS page

Switch to Manual configuration

Enter 8.8.8.8 where it says "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" and 8.8.8.4 where it says "Secondary DNS Address (optional)"

Click Apply.

Then go to the Certificate Exceptions part of your browser's configuration and delete any exceptions you have listed under contentcontrol.vodafone.co.uk. Then browse to a page which previously had inaccessible images. The problem SHOULD be fixed.

View more options

Vodafone,

i cannot not access some sites as my iPhone cannot recognise the certificate.  The problem is connected to your content blocker service from Allott.

can you fix it please.

View more options

@Andrew001 This isn't good to hear. 

Please send us a screenshot of the error message you're receiving when this happens. 

It may also be worth checking your My Vodafone account to view your content control settings. 

View more options

Just to add my voice. I am having exactly the same problems as everyone else. Glad Ill be leaving Vodafone next week whilst I'm in my 1 month grace period. Nothing but problems. 

View more options

@JoeJoeGoGo I'm sorry you feel that you want to leave us.

If you'd like us to have a look into this, please contact us using the link provided in the private message.

Please let us know how you get on. 

View more options

Oh yes, I'm having the same problem as well. Instead of calling to upsell my account, why not try fixing the problems that, judging by this thread, have persisted for over a year without one meaningful reply or solution from Vodafone. Poor show, people.

View more options
View more options