Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Weird 4G issue

pauljoslin62
2: Seeker

Hi everyone, 

My first post here and hoping someone can help (as online Vodafone chat couldn't).  I have a Sony Xperia Z5 compact which has a couple of issues so decided to replace it with an identical but brand new handset.  I swapped the sim over etc and all is fine with 4G except at my holiday cottage in Ireland where it only picks up 2g.  If I drive to the nearest town  (which is on a different mast) 4G works perfectly.  Also if I switch the sim back to my old handset 4G is fine at the cottage.  Any help would be grealy appreciated. 

Thanks,

Paul

5 REPLIES 5

pauljoslin62

Sorry - think i have posted this in the wrong section - can someone move it please :Smiling:

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Some phones have been known to be better at hanging onto signal and data speeds better than others. 

From what you write the sim card appears fine especially as you've had it swapped out.

It's the phone not playing ball.

Vodafone UK won't be able to guarantee what service a person gets on Vodafone Irelands Network as the two are not linked

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your help - I will be returning the phone.

Cheers, Paul

hrym

Have you checked whether there's an issue with the mast where it doesn't work?   A network problem would be my first port of call.

AnnS

Hi @pauljoslin62 

The most likely reason will be due to the phone using the available signal at the time and this does not necessarily mean the strongest.

The first thing to do is to check your coverage from the Vodafone Ireland coverage checker here : Check your Coverage this will give an indication on the coverage you can expect to receive at your holiday cottage.

If you are using the same SIM from your old phone, certainly ask a Vodafone Store to replace the SIM when you are back in the UK, it may make a difference but no guarantees.