Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

What happens when you exceed your data allowance - Pay monthly

AdamBromiley
1: Seeker

Hi,

I was thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S6 form Vodafone, on pay monthly. The data allowance is 1GB, and even though I am sure that I would not go over it, what happens if I do?

I currently have an EE contract, which stops me completely (i.e. Turns off my data) from using data when I use it all, but does Vodafone do that, or does it just not tell you and charge extra?

Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@AdamBromiley

For the first three months of your contract, Vodafone have the Data Test Drive which gives unlimited use of the internet on your phone.  When you are close to the end of the Test Drive period, Vodafone will send a text to recommend a data limit suited to your use.

Vodafone cannot cap a contract but it is easy to monitor your own usage by logging onto your online account, the My Vodafone Application or by calling 44555 to receive a return text with your usage.  Your phone should also have its own data monitoriing application or your should be able to download a data monitoring application.

If you exceed your usage, you will automatically be charged £6.50 for each additional 250mb unless you are on a Red Plan where you will be charged £6.50 for each additional 500mb.

Please see below for charges.

Call Charges from your Vodafone Mobile

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

All the call and data charges for pay monthly are in ->

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/contentdocuments/vftst052330.pdf

You can self monitor usage via myvodafone app and myvodafone online and purchase extra data if required. Information here http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/data-charges/index.htm

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

You didn't answer the question.

No - data doesn't turn off Vodafone doesn't cap contracts - you keep using data and get charged for the extra data.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Look in the phone's main Settings Menu for Mobile Data.   There should be a section for Data Usage - it may be under More.   Different manufacturers structure their menus differently, so you may need to download the full manual, which should be on the Samsung website.

You can see usage by app for whatever period you select and there should also be an option to cut data off at a level you preset.  For safety, this should be just below your contract amount.  You can then decide what to do next - use wifi for the rest of the month or set another cut-off point.

The My Vodafone app is useful, but runs behind and sometimes takes up to 72 hours to catch up with where you are.   I also use My Data Manager, which has some handy bells and whistles and configurable alarms and notifications.   Due to security features in recent versions of Androind, it can't cut data off, though.

AnnS

@AdamBromiley

For the first three months of your contract, Vodafone have the Data Test Drive which gives unlimited use of the internet on your phone.  When you are close to the end of the Test Drive period, Vodafone will send a text to recommend a data limit suited to your use.

Vodafone cannot cap a contract but it is easy to monitor your own usage by logging onto your online account, the My Vodafone Application or by calling 44555 to receive a return text with your usage.  Your phone should also have its own data monitoriing application or your should be able to download a data monitoring application.

If you exceed your usage, you will automatically be charged £6.50 for each additional 250mb unless you are on a Red Plan where you will be charged £6.50 for each additional 500mb.

Please see below for charges.

Call Charges from your Vodafone Mobile

Would you get charged if you only use 200mb over your data? If you are charged £6.50 for every 250mb you go over?

jeffkinn
You certainly will be charged. It's up to 250mb and not a minimum.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png