cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why can't Customer Service Advisors a) Get anything done as promised. b) tell a different story.

PTRAGGETT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In many years as a customer I have never experienced the poor service others have experienced....until now and I one week I now wish to cancel all my contracts.

Last week my wife's iPhone, was left inn a shop in Montemegro by accident. We only discovered its absence a few hours and miles later. As we couldn't contact the shop, it was past closing I asked VF through chat to block the sim, which they did.

Next day, to our surprise we were able to retreive the handset due to the honesty of a shopworker who found it. Safely back in our possesion I again got onto chat and asked them to lift the block, apparently it was no problem and we were very grateful for the support and protection, all good so far.

On Monday last we arrived back in the UK and the handset wouldn't sign on to the VF network. 'No service' message, as mine was on the network OK we knew it wasnt a network problem, so that night I got on chat again and the CSA said I should do a soft start and get back to them if it didn't work. I said it was effectively what I'd done when we got back to the UK, but he was sure it would work, there was nothing else on the file.

Needless to say it didn't work, so being in Town the next morning, the handset and me went to the VF shop where a lovely lady spent a long while trying to get support, eventually she determined the handset had been blacklisted. She couldn't help, I needed CS online or 'phone.

Back to chat and after a lot of  preamble because suddenly my PIn isnt correct and I am assured a request has been sent to have the handset unlisted and it could take up to 24 hours. 

So when it wasn't working on Wednesday and some time longer than 24 hours, back to chat. Oh dear, further pre-amble and very nice person says it's been requested and went wrong, sending an email it should be ok in 30 minutes...joke!

Thursday late a.m. and I decide to call complaints. Another preamble and I am informed, yes a request had been made, but it normally takes 24 to 72 hours for an unlisting, what about the original 24 hours, then 30 minutes? Who knows? Well 30 hours later still no service, so a while ago I sent a complaint stating that if they don't deal with this by mid-day tomorrow I will cancel all my contracts and see them in court relative to penalties. You see I don't have a mortgage, don't use credit cards or take out loans, so if they damage my credit score I don't really care, but I am tired of conflicting information and hours trying to get something done with fultility.

7 REPLIES 7

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member

Just keep in mind that you'll get credit-checked when taking out a mobile phone contract, and that if by chance you are still working you may also get checked when changing jobs (depending on the job.)

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @PTRAGGETT

Whilst your frustration is understandable, Vodafone acted quickly and immediately blocked the SIM in an accidentally left in a shop phone and at the same time IMEI blocked the phone to prevent misuse of your property.

When you arrived back in the UK and contacted Vodafone to remove the IMEI block it is taking slightly longer than you would like and make take up to 72 hours.  It may also be worth mentioning that when you receive the replacement SIM, there is likely to still be a restriction on the number and before you are able to activate the new SIM, you will need to have this restriction removed.

Please please don't stop paying for your contracts, this will hurt you a lot more than Vodafone, you may not care about your credit rating but unless you like the idea of persistent debt collectors knocking on your door it is best the best of choices.

Give the forum Team time to get to the thread, it won't be quick but by coming to the forum you will have found the best place to get the issue sorted.

Hi, I didn't get a new sim, they said they had unlocked the old one. Who knows!

Thanks for your advice and response to my issues. Yes VF responded quickly, I asked for the sim to be blocked and didn't know the handset had been locked too, they didn't see that in my first chat when I got back, it took the local shop an hour to find that out. As I had a sim only contract it never occured to me they'd lock the handset and was prepared to write the telephone off, just didn't want a calls bill. My issue is that I don't get the same story from CS twice, so in the end don't believe anyone.

My general experience of VF Customer Service has been good in the past and I have wondered what all the complaints were about.   :Smiling:

Tsathoggua

It's the mission in life of most networks to lock a handset if at all possible when you put one of their SIMs into it, and to make it as difficult as possible to unlock it when your committment ceases. They will argue that this is partly for their and your security, which does make some sense.  A cynic would say that it's part of the industry subtext that the handset is never truly "yours" until it's worn-out/outdated. 

Thanks for your response, but this situation was nothing to do with their policy. :Smiling:

@Tsathoggua wrote:

It's the mission in life of most networks to lock a handset if at all possible when you put one of their SIMs into it, and to make it as difficult as possible to unlock it when your committment ceases. They will argue that this is partly for their and your security, which does make some sense.  A cynic would say that it's part of the industry subtext that the handset is never truly "yours" until it's worn-out/outdated. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PTRAGGETT I couldn't tell you why you've been given different timescales and information without us having a look into your account. The priority in this situation is to make sure the phone is working again after being removed from our blacklist and answer any remaining questions to you may have. If you did need further help, please do contact us using the link in my private message and we'll take a look 👍