Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is RPI Increase allowed?

Getafix
16: Advanced member

I have just been thinking about this as trying to work out the real reason for this?

So, why do they need to increase the Tariff by RPi?

25 REPLIES 25

chistery

It surprises me how not one of the main networks has come out against these charges, it has a whiff of collusion about it!

With the ability to get a PAC by just sending a text message soon, and hopefully end of minimum term notifications, maybe we'll see the networks try and instil some loyalty to stay, It's going to be a lot easier to move very soon.

Getafix

I contacted Customer Relations directly regarding this. I said that it is Legal what they are doing but immoral as they are not increasing the same Tariff for new customers.

The justification for RPI increase is to keep in line with the Value of Money, however they need to take account for the product is now a lot cheaper than what it was.

So got a call from Customer Relation. Agreed with what I had said but it is policy and they can't change it.

However, offered me a good deal to move from 8GB to 15GB for 42p increase (80p if excluding RPI increase). And contract date remains the same.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Exactly the point I made. I just increased from 20GB to 40GB for a small monthly increase so the cost per GB has reduced significantly. The cost of data is falling while the cost of the handset is increasing very quickly. 

It's the reverse to the trend in computing where hardware has fallen but software costs have increased a lot.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

It would certainly make sense to upgrade if you're paying more than a new customer, although you'd be signing on for another 12 months rather than having the flexibility of a 30-day rolling contract.  If you have a device-inclusive contract, don't forget to switch to SIM-only, too, as soon as you can.  I think Vodafone now send a reminder about this, to be fair.

The use of RPI rather than CPI (which is generally reckoned to be a more accurate indicator of the rise in living costs) is definitely questionable.   It's not only businesses that use it, of course.  If the government is giving you money, it uses CPI.   If it's charigng you, it uses RPI, which is higher.

Getafix

I just did a Tariff change. Monthly price increased but discount increased as well. Initially I did offer to have contract end date changed to 12 months, but Agent said no need.
Forgot to add, I have been SIM only on the 8GB Tariff for almost 4 years now. The tariff has been coming down every year and the discount also reduced by 10% every year, Net monthly price dropped.
September 18 saw the greatest Value increase despite price drop as as Global Plus and 500 minutes to EU, on drop of £5.

Now paying exactly the same amount I did before September 18, with 7GB extra Data, Global Plus and 500 EU minutes.

And hence my question on how is RPI increase justified, when for the same amount of Money more is on Offer?

As  has mentioned, probably justified for pay monthly with phone, as you pay for it like Loan. However once paid, should automatically drop the price after 2 years.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry for any confusion around understanding the RPI increase @GetafixThe RPI figure published in March 2019 is 2.5% and is a widely recognised measure of the UK’s general level of inflation. This is used by many industries as a guide on whether to adjust prices and by how much. 

If you’re on a Pay monthly contract taken out on or after 5 May 2016 or a Mobile Broadband contract taken out on or after 28 September 2016 (including upgrades), you’ll see this change from your April bill, in line with your Ts&Cs

hrym

I'm in a slightly weird position.   I was on a 250mb tarriff at £11 which was phased out and I was moved to a 500mb one, which was £15 at the time, but I got a discount, meaning I paid less than before.  That same tarriff is now £11 and the next price increase will move what I'm paying above that, so it'll be worth "upgrading " to exactly the same tarriff as I'm on now :Hmm_Face:.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@hrym I appreciate your situation and the prices being different. Our price plans are constantly changing, which includes the amount of data available and the cost. I believe it's always worth upgrading or at least double checking you're getting the best value for money.

Getafix
I understand the RPI increase and agree that it is according to T&Cs.
However what is the reason for increasing the Tariff?
And the increase could be whatever you as company decide, ie RPI, CPI or say a Fixed %, as long as mentioned in T&Cs.
But whichever is used, why does it need to be increased?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Getafix As we use RPI this may be a question more for the Office for National Statistics as I wouldn't be able to give a full answer as to why their figures change. 

As @Loz has mentioned, it's used by a number of different industries and the Office themselves recognise and understand the figure they publish will affect contracts such as ours. When using the data they publish, it helps us to see whether our prices should be adjusted. Should the RPI figure decrease, this won't increase your plan but will remain the same.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though and understand the curiosity behind it.