cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is it so difficult with Vodafone to keep my number?

StuartMunday
4: Newbie

I moved to Vodafone when I took out a 12 month SIM only deal with them. At that time I ported my number across.

As the 12 month deal was nearing its end, I looked online and found another Vodafone deal which their customer service could not match. I took out this deal and then contacted Vodafone about moving my number from one deal to the other.

Their first reaction was that they could not do that. They said that they could only move a number from Pay as You Go to Pay Monthly, or from Pay Monthly to Pay as You Go! I was astounded by this, having previously been an O2 customer where they just moved your number from one contract to the next when you asked them to.

They then said that they would have to make my original Pay Monthly deal Pay as You Go and then they could move the number across. Thinking that this was going to be simple, I told them to go ahead and make it Pay as You Go.

They then said that they needed 30 days’ notice to do this! Having no other choice, I gave them the 30 days’ notice. At the end of the 30 days, I received a message indicating that things were changing on my account, so I then used the online form to transfer my number across which it said would happen in the next two days. Almost a week later, when it still hadn’t been moved, I contacted Vodafone again. They said that the transfer to Pay as You Go had not been completed, so the number could not be moved. Four days later, the number was finally moved.

I now have another Vodafone SIM only deal coming to an end (I took them out for my kids phones) and it still looks like the online deals are pointing me to another Vodafone SIM only deal. Looking on their website, nothing has changed regarding moving a number from Pay Monthly to Pay Monthly, so I guess I am going to have to give them another 30 days’ notice to convert to Pay as You Go and then another couple of days while they move the number!

Why can’t you move the number from one contract to another like other providers?

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The act of moving a mobile number from one contract to another effectively closes down the contract your moving the number from. 

Moving old vodafone number onto new Vodafone Contract. Credits to AnnS.

1.  Cancel the old contract and ask for the number to be moved to PAYG.  The number will be scheduled to move to PAYG after 30 days.  You will then receive a new PAYG SIM card to activate and top up a small amount to get it active on the network.  You will then be able to transfer the number to the new contract.

2.  Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, move the old number to an alternative network, use the SIM as PAYG on the other network and ask for a PAC code to move the number onto the new contract.

If your original contract near it’s end date ? If not then actioning the above would end it and invoke any relavent early termination fee. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

The act of moving a mobile number from one contract to another effectively closes down the contract your moving the number from. 

Isn't that the point?  I have finished one contract, and have started another one that I want to move the number to.  Of course I want the old one terminated.  Why do I have to go through the palaver of converting it to PAYG, move the number to my new Pay Monthly and at the same time close down the PAYG.

Converting the account to PAYG and then porting the number to my new Pay Monthly seems like a lot of work for something that is done by other providers in a few days.

Yes that is the point. 

Its a shame the Retentions Department cannot offer some form of discount to come close or match what your being offered elsewhere. 

So because its what you want to do your going to be governed by Vodafones systems to achieve what you want to do. We all have to jump through a few hoops sometimes to get we want. :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I don't blame the retentions deparment.  They can only offer so much discount t keep the customer.

It's the whole process of number retention that I find unbeleivable.

Why is it that they can only move a number from Pay as You Go to Pay Monthly or the other way round?  Surely, there is nothing stopping them from moving a number from Pay Monthly to Pay Monthly.  This must be a common request.  Most people, coming to the end of their contract, shop around for a better deal, and then need their number moving from one contract to the other, and at the same time, cancel the old contract!

Like I said previously, wen I was with O2, they did this for me every time I took out a new contract.  Only took them at most 2 days to transfer the number and cancel the old contract.

If Vodafone insist on the 30 days notice, surey they could do both processes, one straight after the other.  Convert the account to Pay as You Go, followed by moving the number.

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Vodafone has a policy of 30 days Notice if you want to Terminate a contract.

Which they stick to for everyone.

You need to plan around that policy. 

Options are

1. Give 30 days Notice to go to PAYG, 30 days before your contract end date. Once you are on PAYG, Sign up to a new contract with Third Party and tell them you want to move from PAYG to the new contract.

2. Ask for PAC near your Contract end date and port you number out to another Network on or after your contract end date. Once on the other Network, go to your Third party and tell them you want to join Vodafone and move your number at the same time form another Network.

You could do this earlier, however will be charged Early Termination Fee.

I understand the 30 days notice.  What I have great difficulty in understanding is Vodafone's inability to transfer a number from one of their Pay Monthly contracts to another one without having to convert the original contract to a Pay as You Go first.  This just seems like a waste of my time and theirs as the original contract is ultimately cancelled.

Getafix

The functionality to transfer from one Contract to other is there, however as I said it is their policy not to do that.

The reason they insist it done this way is to ensure policy is followed.

So what you are saying is that they can do it, but they want to make it difficult for the customer.

Let's face it, most people who want to keep their number are those coming to the end of their contract.  Whether that's a Vodafone one or some other provider.  This "policy" just enables Vodafone the chance to negotiate a better contract as the customer has to contact disconnections to convert their account to Pay as You Go..

If this doesn't change in the next year, then I will only be contacting them for my PAC when my contact is ending.

Getafix

Not making it difficult for Customers, it is a policy they decided to implement and they are keeping to it.

Problem is WE as customers want to pay the least but expect no consequences.

Note: I said WE.