Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling on Pixel 3 and Pixel 3XL

bhavshah
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Now that Vodafone is selling the Pixel phones, should we expect Wifi Calling to become available on the Pixel 3 and 3XL?

And, for the avoidance of doubt, would this apply to Pixel phones bought elsewhere as well as those bought from Vodafone directly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With pretty much every single phone on the market - Vodafone or whatever mobile phone operator you choose - will have their own customised version of the phone's firmware, only phones with their version of the firmware will have the correct settings to access WiFi calling on their network. Only phones they sell will have their firmware.

If you buy from elsewhere you'll have the generic manufacturers version of the firmware or even another mobile phone operator's version - so WiFi calling and VoLTE won't work. There is no technical reason why these features couldn't work - even though the networks will claim that it's a compatibility issue, it's not, it would be very simple to have it working. They just want you to be forced to buy your phone on contract, from them. 

However the iPhone and the Pixel phones don't have this - they have one single version of their firmware that is controlled centrally by Apple/Google. The operator submits their settings and they're included in the software or downloaded on demand when a SIM from X operator is detected.

Therefore, the mobile phone company cannot control it anymore. Either every single Pixel 3 will have WiFi calling and VoLTE or none will have it. Every other operator has said the Pixel 3 will have WiFi calling and VoLTE. It's highly unlikely that Vodafone will say no and be the odd one out, especially if the Pixel 3 turns out to be a big seller. 

The only way they could control it is to maintain a list of IMEI numbers (like serial numbers) and block it phone by phone like that - since they haven't blocked iPhones in that way, that would be a blatant prejudice and they'd look very bad - maybe Google would even intervene?

I'd say it's almost certain we'll get WiFi calling and VoLTE on our Pixel 3s - the only question is how long it will take them to get their a*ses into gear and do it. 

View solution in original position

48 REPLIES 48

My Pixel 3 XL came from Vodafone. I can't select Wi-Fi calling so their explanation to you doesn't make sense.

Thats usefull to know that it does not work any yet...so there is hope that it will work at some point when they sort it out.  Unsure why they said it would work if i had got it from vodaphone then,

I don't even have the Wi-Fi calling option in my settings menu!

If the carrier (vodaphone) support it and it's configured trhen it will appear under wifi , mobile networks , advanced ...When the option appears ..you are good to go...

Yep, nothing there unfortunately :Sad_face:

I'm giving them until the end of my contract in February, if it's not enabled by then - I'm off.

I have noticed that my regular signal is a lot stronger with the Pixel 3 than it was on my S9 though, which is brilliant and means this is slightly less of an issue for me.

Has anyone else noticed a better signal with the Pixel 3?

Just saw this on Twitter:

Screenshot_20181109-085749.png

PipefishUK hopefully it wasn't just a triangle you saw on Twitter?!

Is it not showing up? It's basically a tweet from Vodafone, replying to someone who asked about WiFi calling - saying that it's available on the Pixel 3.

https://twitter.com/VodafoneUK/status/1060199699725144065?s=09

Well it's definitely not available on my device that was purchased direct from Google...!