Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling on Pixel 3 and Pixel 3XL

bhavshah
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Now that Vodafone is selling the Pixel phones, should we expect Wifi Calling to become available on the Pixel 3 and 3XL?

And, for the avoidance of doubt, would this apply to Pixel phones bought elsewhere as well as those bought from Vodafone directly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With pretty much every single phone on the market - Vodafone or whatever mobile phone operator you choose - will have their own customised version of the phone's firmware, only phones with their version of the firmware will have the correct settings to access WiFi calling on their network. Only phones they sell will have their firmware.

If you buy from elsewhere you'll have the generic manufacturers version of the firmware or even another mobile phone operator's version - so WiFi calling and VoLTE won't work. There is no technical reason why these features couldn't work - even though the networks will claim that it's a compatibility issue, it's not, it would be very simple to have it working. They just want you to be forced to buy your phone on contract, from them. 

However the iPhone and the Pixel phones don't have this - they have one single version of their firmware that is controlled centrally by Apple/Google. The operator submits their settings and they're included in the software or downloaded on demand when a SIM from X operator is detected.

Therefore, the mobile phone company cannot control it anymore. Either every single Pixel 3 will have WiFi calling and VoLTE or none will have it. Every other operator has said the Pixel 3 will have WiFi calling and VoLTE. It's highly unlikely that Vodafone will say no and be the odd one out, especially if the Pixel 3 turns out to be a big seller. 

The only way they could control it is to maintain a list of IMEI numbers (like serial numbers) and block it phone by phone like that - since they haven't blocked iPhones in that way, that would be a blatant prejudice and they'd look very bad - maybe Google would even intervene?

I'd say it's almost certain we'll get WiFi calling and VoLTE on our Pixel 3s - the only question is how long it will take them to get their a*ses into gear and do it. 

View solution in original position

48 REPLIES 48

It isn't showing on my Pixel 3 XL bought from Vodafone either.

It's not on mine either.

Okay..I've got mine working myself. If your feeling brave...

Dial  *# *#4636# *# *

Phone information

Tick WiFi calling provisioned

Restart

Option will now appear under appear under wifi , mobile networks , advanced (enable if needed)

Test by putting in airplane mode then enabling WiFi. Shows vodaphone WiFi calling and I've tested a call

Vodaphone did try to get it working for me over the phone but failed so not sure if they did something else but I needed to do the following to get it to work on a Google bought pixel 3xl

Can confirm - this worked on my regular Pixel 3. Switching on the provisioned toggle caused the WiFi calling option to appear in my regular settings, then I just switched it on.

Wonder why Vodafone haven't got themselves into gear and sorted this yet, it's obviously there. Maybe they're 'testing' it for the next year before release?

Have you actually tried using it yet?

Don't think it worked for me even though it now says enabled.

Do I need to call Vodafone to activate something on their end?

I decided to tweet Vodafone and had a reply last night. They told me where to navigate to the phone's settings and how to turn on WiFi calling, and to let them know if the option is not there. Obviously I have done that, and sent a screenshot back to confirm it isn't there!

It sounds like WiFi calling should be available, hence the workaround above, and that there is some form of technical issue preventing the option showing in the menu...or am I being too optimistic?!

It only becomes active when you have a low mobile network signal.

Put your phone in airplane mode then manually switch on just WiFi - it should come on. Pull down the notification bar and where it usually says 'vodafone UK', it should say 'Vodafone WiFi calling'.

I called voicemail on it to test it.

I'd prefer it if it used WiFi calling whenever you were on WiFi - but all the networks seem to use a low signal threshold for it.

@gram1210 - I imagine it's Vodafone just being slow and crap and having rubbish internal communication and they need to do something on their end to get the option to officially appear on everyone's Pixel 3.

Apparently there is a way to prioritise WiFi over network using ADB commands. I might give it a go at some point. If it's not working then make sure you've done the usual things to get WiFi calling enabled (enable it on myvodaphone). It definitely works for me as I've made calls with no mobile signal.

I tried the workaround and can confirm the option now shows in the settings menu. I haven't tested it yet though, but can't see why it won't perform as expected.

Thanks!

Well it didn't work for me on airplane mode with WiFi on. It still said to connect to a network