Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

eSim Hassle moving to a new phone

pahardie
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I got a new phone today and followed the esim instructions - going from my old phone (esim) to a new phone. I did the request, it deactivated my existing esim which was fine. I couldn't scan the qr code for some reason and then got logged out of my vodafone account. Now I don't have access to my number and can't get into myvodafone as I have 2 factor turned on and can't get the texts to verify my identity!

I contacted support and they say I'll just have to wait for 24 hours for the esim to be emailed to me and can't do anything about it. 

Nightmare. Last time I got an esim it was emailed within minutes. Nothing yet after 4 hours. Not hopeful at all. Nothing in spam etc!

Anyone got any suggestions? Support seem to just say wait so maybe I'll have to do just that!

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Unfortunately yours isn't the only post I've seen where a person moving from one esim phone to another esim phone has glitched.

I recall one person ended up going to a Vodafone Highstreet Store with identification and moving to a physical sim and once that was set up and running then moved to an esim again @pahardie 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks @bandofbrothers

I think if I don't get the esim over night that's what I'm going to have to do unfortunately.

I'm not confident it'll arrive now even though the said I should wait 24 hours.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had access to my number!

I actually have a physical SIM that's never been used can they access and activate that remotely do you think?

Thanks again.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @pahardie 

The sim card you have would have to be a Blank Sim card i.e never had a number associated with it.

If it is then a sim swap can be performed however with your situation I'd be more leaning towards visiting a Vodafone Highstreet Store with photo ID and ask them.

What-is-a-SIM-swap-and-how-long-does-it-take. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The SIM doesn't always have to be "blank". An old SIM can be reactivated by Vodafone if it was originally associated with the account that you're now trying to reactivate it against.

Example: If you had a SIM card, switched to eSIM but held on to the old deactivated SIM. That SIM card can be reactivated by Vodafone Customer Services later down the line.

So if you're switching from a physical SIM card to eSIM, hold on to your old SIM card. Might be glad you did!

Thanks again @BandOfBrothers

after 2 esims went 'missing' yesterday and never arrived. a 3rd was sent out to my email and it worked. I am not sure why it took 3 tries, or took so long. But I think I am ok for now. But I was reading a particularly unfortunate persons thread and they got sorted, and then quickly unsorted a couple of times before it was fully resolved.

At one stage yesterday a CS person said they'd need to send me out a physical sim so that I could log into my vodafone and request the esim. Thankfully I found someone else who sent it for me!

I hope I end up keeping the phone I dread swapping it back to my old phone!!