Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

enabling WiFi calling on company phone

casaschi
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I have a vodafone iphone 6s provided by my company.

Since there's no vodafone signal indoor at home, I would really benefit from enabling wifi calling, in other words I would let vodafone use my home broadband to deliver their service to me!

However, when trying to enable wifi calling I get an error message saying I'd need to contact vodafone, possibly because it's a company phone. I let you imagine the complexity to get this done to the point I gave up.

Is Vodafone planning to make the feature available to every user with a compatible device as many of the vodafone competitors are doing?

What is the rationale for vodafone to restrict availability of a feature that would make customer experience better and that would essentially let vodafone have free access to customer provided broadband to deliver the vodafone mobile service. At the moment, when at home I do not get phone calls, voicemail and SMSs (unless from another iPhone user, I guess vodafone could not prevent that).

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @casaschi

There's a bit of info in > business/solutions/mobile-voice-and-data/vodafone-wi-fi-calling.

It's my thoughts that it has not been released across the board yet as its still in its infancy. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

There's a bit of info in > business/solutions/mobile-voice-and-data/vodafone-wi-fi-calling.

It's my thoughts that it has not been released across the board yet as its still in its infancy. 

I had seen the info, but it really does not explain why it's still in its infancy with vodafone while other carriers support it for all of their customers.

Ultimately, it does not help me, a solution in its infancy would be better than no signal at home 😞

It's probably that your company is on a legacy tariff that doesn't support WiFi calling, so it would worth speaking to whoever administers your company account internally so see if they have any info.

And other carriers are similar, need to be on newer (and often more expensive) plans that support Wi-Fi calling.

ewan

And other carriers are similar, need to be on newer (and often more expensive) plans that support Wi-Fi calling.

I might be wrong but I thought at least two other major uk mobile provider make wi-fi calling available to all their customers with a phone that supports the feature, regardless of the plan.

Again, I don’t get why vodafone would really need me on a more expensive plan in order to allow themselves to use my own broadband instead of one of their wireless towers, the one they’ll have to build to get indoors coverage at my home.

Apart from making it a way to generate more profit and revenue, its probably that they haven't built it on their billing platform to be compatible with older tariffs.

Or your maybe your company just needs to have it activated on the account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This depends on what phone you have. If you've any of the below listed phone, you'll certainly be able to use Wi-Fi. Vodafone does have Wi-Fi calling, but the handset should also support Wi-Fi calling.

• Samsung – Galaxy A3 (2016 and 2017), A5 (2016 and 2017), S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, Note8 and XCover 4
  • iPhone –  iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone SE
  • Huawei – P10
  • Sony – XZ Premium 
  • Vodafone – Smart ultra 7 and Smart platinum 7

This depends on what phone you have. 

I started my original post with "I have a vodafone iphone 6s", so the device is not an issue.

My main concern is with the restrictions on the feature that make it very customer un-friendly to enable it, as opposed to make it available by default to anyone with a suitable device; a kind of  "customer first" approach... but it does not seem to be the case...