Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

is VOXI's age policy illegal

tinmanofoz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I tried to purchase a VOXI sim card but was told i was too old ! Voxi offers a sim only deal - Date 45GB £20 but you need to been under 30 to participate with this offer.

I thought this was slightly odd and spoke to a solicitor, whom stated it was ageism you cant offer a certain age group benefits which you withhold from others due to age.

Please could someone from Vodafone respond ..

23 REPLIES 23

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @tinmanofoz

I understand your viewpoint about the Tariffs available on Voxi and the age stipulation, but that's part of the vox terms-conditions

Vodafone wouldn't have been able to create this service and T&C's if these stipulations were not possible. 

A bit like Under 30's Holidays and Hotels that will only accept adults as guests etc. 

I see the current Tariff offer has drawn you to this service. You could either try negotiating with Vodafone for a monthly contract tariff as near to that as possible or try an independent such as Carphone Warehouse who can on occasion offer good deals too as long as discounts such as Employers Vea isn't an option you also want. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

They don't actually seem to check it though, if you did accidently put in an incorrect DOB. :eSee_no_evil:

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

@chistery wrote:

They don't actually seem to check it though, if you did accidently put in an incorrect DOB. :eSee_no_evil:

Well, the Ts&Cs say "You can become a VOXI customer if you are under 30 years old. When activating your VOXI SIM card, we will ask you for identification to confirm your age."

It's not a great start to a legal agreement to get it by deception.

More interesting is how they can possibly comply with GDPR if - as they state loudly on https://www.voxi.co.uk/ - they don't store your data. Again from the Ts&Cs: "Fraud prevention agencies. The personal information we collect from you may be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment. Further details explaining how the information held by fraud prevention agencies may be used please visit www.voxi.co.uk/privacy."

Maybe the solution is for everybody who is over 29, to dump Vodafone, and imagine it imposes similar ageist policies. I'm sure that will get the message across, without the need for Voxi.

Yep thanks for showing me this mate .

.ive just cancelled my new iphone max its still under its 30 day return policy .....

So over to 02  :Smiley_with_tongue_out:

Could someone from vodaphone tell me if theres anything which comes close to these Voxi offers, and before anyone says these are limited time promos , these offers have been going for about 18 months now . :Hmm_Face: 

VOXI OFFERS for under 30s ONLY 

Unlimited use of social apps without eating your data 

No contract, cancel anytime

Unlimited calls, texts & picture messages

Use your plan in Europe, no extra cost

6GB .... £10

15GB .....£15

45GB .... £20   

Im 34 and would love a offer like these ..

Anyone who thinks this practice of Discrimination is wrong should write to there MP 

Contact you local MP in this link

https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Virgin, they offer access to social media in their contracts, that does not use up your inclusive allowance. Its the principle of Voxi that annoys me, as social media is all about social inclusion, regardless of age or origin. 

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

FWIW, I've had a bit of a search, and found https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/discrimination-in-the-provision-of-goods-and-services/dis...

This includes: 

Concessions and discounts

Businesses are allowed to offer concessions or discounts based on age - for example, cheaper access to leisure facilities for 18-25 year olds, or pensioner lunch deals.

So it looks as though it's probably OK. For myself, not that interested in the pensioner lunch deals, but I too wouldn't mind a chance to sign up to VOXI.

Luckily, the Government have become really strict recently on combating agism. Let's be honest, this beleaguered company, is not 'alright' Actually, when you look at fines recently handed out to EE and Virgin being in breach of government legislation, maybe Voda will find a nasty sting in the tail..or is that tale..