Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

is VOXI's age policy illegal

tinmanofoz
2: Seeker

I tried to purchase a VOXI sim card but was told i was too old ! Voxi offers a sim only deal - Date 45GB £20 but you need to been under 30 to participate with this offer.

I thought this was slightly odd and spoke to a solicitor, whom stated it was ageism you cant offer a certain age group benefits which you withhold from others due to age.

Please could someone from Vodafone respond ..

23 REPLIES 23

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

All - I’d like to reassure you that VOXI does comply with the Equality Act 2010. The Equalities Act 2010 allows for aged-based concessions for services provided to a particular age group, whereby limiting such services would not prove discriminatory. VOXI has been designed to meet the needs of a specific age group by people 30 and under. It’s similar to services aimed at specific age groups in holiday (18-30’s) and transport (16-24 travel discounts) who are only available to a certain age range.

Of course, this country does not have a written constitution. Everything, basically, is set by legal precedent. What Vodafone may cite, and they repeat themselves... Doesn't mean to say it's entirely lawful. In fact, not only would I personally view it as offensive and discriminatory, so may a court of law. At the very least, this move smacks as desperation by a network that seemingly has lost its way.... A great pity, as back in its heyday, it was the best. Sadly, this unfortunate move now places such memories well into the past I feel. 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Tactictaylor wrote:

Let's be honest, this beleaguered company, is not 'alright' 

I'd be interested in knowing the basis of your comment that Vodafone is 'beleaguered'.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Businesses are allowed to offer cheaper deals for pensioners or holidays for 18-30 year olds if that can be justified on the basis of,say, offering a concession to those of lower income, or concentrating on a particular social group to enhance the social experience. However, in this case we are talking solely about excluding persons over 29 years of age of the ability to purchase a product. Including over 29s would not adversely affect or dilute the social  experience of the product for younger people (as with the holidays) nor is the product specifically targetted at those who might be disadvantaged by paying the same price as other groups of people. I therefore believe that the age policy is discriminatory and illegal. It is based around the prejudicial premise that older people such, as pensioners,  who may well be of low income and suffer social isolation, are not capable or willing to use social networking as much as the young. Compaines such as Vodaphone should be promoting social networking to their older customers as an issue of social responsibility rather than actively excluding them for commercial reasons. Companies will only get away with this sort of disgraceful behaviour if nobody complains, so I urge you to make a complaint to Vodaphone, demand an explanation, and complain to the Equality and Human Rights Commission  at equalityhumanrights.com

Incorrect. For example PC World has a baloney returns policy which is in breach of contract legislation. When their customer service prat told me he know contract law inside out as he dealt with customer complaints all day, I asked him where in the legislation it said PC World’s policy was exempt from contract law. At this point the lying ##~## backtracked and said maybe he didn’t know the law that well.   Just because someone has put something in their contract doesn’t mean it’s legal. Recently spoke to a contracts lawyer at an international publishing house who has discovered their contracts give them the right to give licences to works they don’t even own. 

Tactictaylor
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

They cannot show it seems any exclusive services that befit only a certain age group. They cite things like 18-30 holidays, and young person's travel cards. But no comparison, and in reality just demonstrate in my view ageism. I feel a legal challenge needs to be made, as if sold just to say black or gay people it would be just as nauseating as it is based upon age. 

Ive just read through Voxi’s terms & conditions.

But it gives NO reason for restricting access according to age I.e ....

objectively justify the discrimination ? 

As you mentioned holidays ...

On a age restricted holiday there must be a solid valid reason for the discrimination, to make it LEGAL

So what are Voxi’s Valid reason’s please define ....

coldash

Wow, I did immediately opt for the ok I'm actually under 30, (I'm not). But since I'll need to verify my age and it's against the T&C's then I guess the Sim that's on it's way goes in the bin.

The other thing that is now going to go in the bin is my Vodaphone Broadband, as I pretty much now want nothing to do with Vodaphone ever again.

If you're going to take an ageist approach this over 30 customer will be going elsewhere and will do there best to spread the world. Over 30's do social media too!

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

You can now sign up if you're old, and not have to lie about it, though they've not updated their web site yet.

Mobile Operator Voxi to Remove Age Restriction for New Customers

Too late, with Giffgaff now. This failed company never seems to learn! You watch its overpriced shares plummeting, and they're still half asleep lol. No, best leave to their own deluded selves. Sorry Vodafone, but you started out great, but now I think you've repeatedly failed to see the warning signs clearly visible...almost as big as you'd see above an M1 lane closure, yet kept speeding towards danger!