Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

sim / number swap

RennieHalstead
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just changed my pay monthly plan and been sent a new sim. I want to keep my old number and have tried to use the sim swap page on the website. I have managed to get both numbers / cards registered to my account, but haven't actually managed to transfer the old number to the new sim. What am I doing wrong? Will it sort itself out when the old sim stops working? Help, please. The website keeps sending me round in circles.

Rennie

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @RennieHalstead 

From the sound of your post you have taken a new contract through a third party or a contract with a new number through Vodafone.

If you have a new pay monthly number the previous contract will need to be cancelled, the quickest way to get this done is to port out to any other network and back in on the new contract.

See here for previous threads with answers.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Another-new-contract-new-phone-questions/m-p/2672252#M60...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Transfer-number-to-contract-purchased-from-third-party/m...

Hi AnnS, Thank you for your prompt answer. I have only changed my plan. Is that what you mean by a new contract? The website says I can just move the number using the sim swap page on the website, but I don’t seem able to do that. As my new tariff is for a two year contract, I don’t understand how I can go to another supplier. Sorry, I feel as if I am being really stupid.

AnnS

Hi @RennieHalstead 

Misunderstood sorry.

If the old SIM is still working and fits the phone it can still be used. 

If you are following this link it should work and be problem free  SIM swap 

If there are problems live chat should be able to transfer the number for you and be the quickest option.  If you would prefer to speak to the Social Team follow this link:Contact Us 

@RennieHalstead 

Glad to hear my first answer was correct.  At least you are back online now with the original number.

Hi AnnS

I can’t make sim swap work.  Live chat not working this evening. Will try social team.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there,

I can see why AnnS gave the advice she did as, from what you shared in your original post, it sounds like you've taken a new deal (new line).

So in order to clarify:

• How did you contact Vodafone? 
  • Have you upgraded?
  • Or did they sell you a new line?

It's the bit where you say "I have both numbers registered to my account" that makes me think they've sold you a new line. If you do currently have a new number on the new sim then they definitely have rather than upgrade your existing line. 

So this can be fixed, but you may need to raise a complaint if the social media team don't assist. This can be put right.

Hello sonny guy  Thank you for your comments. I sorted it out on the phone helpline yesterday evening. Apparently I had taken out a new plan, rather than upgraded my existing plan. I only discovered this when I checked my bill and discovered I was being charged for two plans. Once. I realised I could speak to an actual living person, rather than be fobbed off with a virtual assistant, the new sim was cancelled, the existing sim upgraded and at the same time my wife’s sim upgraded., saving me about £4 a month. The people on the helpline could not have been more helpful, staying on the phone past the 8:00 pm shut down to solve my problem. Most impressed by the help on this forum .  Thank you.

Rennie

Hi Rennie,

That's great. Really pleased to read you're sorted now 😀

Hey @RennieHalstead 

It's amazing to hear everything's sorted and that you've been impressed with the Community Forum, that's what we're here for! Thanks @donnyguy and @AnnS for the help too!

If you ever need a hand with anything else, you know where we are 😀