Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No SMS with WiFi calling

Cummgr
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have just Arctivated WiFi calling as my sure signal no linger works. I can make calls ok, but SMS texting doesn’t work. This is on my Huawei and my partners IPhone. I have contacted Vodafone chat and they couldn’t get it to work either!! Any help please

16 REPLIES 16

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

Are your phones compatible with SMS over WiFi?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/wi-fi-calling

Only the following Huawei devices support SMS over WiFi on Vodafone:

• P30 Lite +
  • P30 Lite (NE)
  • P40 Pro 5G
  • P40 Lite 5G
  • P40

iPhone SMS over WiFi supported devices:

• iPhone 12 Max
  • iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12 Pro 
  • iPhone 12 
  • iPhone SE 2020 
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max 64GB 
  • iPhone 11 Pro 64GB 
  • iPhone 11 64GB 
  • iPhone XR 64GB 
  • iPhone XS Max 64GB 
  • iPhone XS 64GB 
  • iPhone X 64GB 
  • iPhone 8 Plus 
  • iPhone 8 
  • iPhone 7 Plus 
  • iPhone 7 32GB 
  • iPhone 6S Plus 
  • iPhone 6S 
  • iPhone SE 64GB 

That's very helpful thanks 😊

Shame Vodafone customer service could not tell me that!!

Apparently MMS over WiFi is also working now. Vodafone never tells users. Just tinkers with the software! However, MMS DOES seem to be working over WiFi now that my Sure Signal has retired itself.

I'm intrigued to find out why certain models of iPhone can accept SMS over Wifi calling?  For example, the 64GB iPhone 11 accept SMS over Wifi calling but the 128 and 256GB models can't?  

WelshPaul

No idea. Knowing Apple they charge a royalty or licence fee per model or something. 🤣

Its a decision made by Vodafone.
Other networks support SMS on WIFI calling on huge numbers of different handsets, Vodafone choose not to.

Vodafone hardly ever tell you anything. Today I discovered that MMS over WiFi also seems to work. I guess it may depend on what phone you have (Samsung s20). I do wish they would be a bit more on the ball telling us what changes they have made.

WelshPaul

The trouble with WiFi calling on Android is that both the networks and Phone Manufacturers modify the operating system to suite their needs/wants. Because of this, there is no one standard that must be met unlike Apple. Apple don't let anyone mess with their OS and this makes it much easier for the networks when utilising WiFi calling.

pintosal
4: Newbie

I have a Samsung A405FN and I'm in a poor signal area.

SureSignal used to be my lifeline, for calls and SMS. Soon SS will be removed, and it leaves me with a proble,

This phone is on Vodafon'e supported list for both WiFi Calling and SMS.

WiFi calling works quite well, but SMS is problematic. I can receive SMS but when I send an SMS it appears to be sent, but it is never received at the other end.

Any ideas?