Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Alternative

David200
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I live in a remote area with limited phone reception and run my business from home. For years I have used a Sure Signal which worked fine but is now disconnected so I am forced to use  Wifi calling. I have a Samsung S20 5G phone.

For around half my calls the other person cannot hear me, if cuts in and out very quickly so they only get every other word although I can hear them clearly.  Consequently I have been forced to use Whatsapp calling or the old landline. 

Vodaphone have 'refreshed' the line 3 x but still the same problem persists. Is anyone else having the same the problem or know of a solution?

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Calling Over Wi-Fi is Vodafone's solution to the Sure Signal censure.

Are you able to test your sim card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out your Samsung phone.

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can take a look at your phone too.

I use a Hybrid Dual Samsung phone which helps when a particular Network's Signal is weak.

Whatsapp or even Facebook calling are an alternative but Signal via a network or Wi-Fi needs to be stable.

Is Signal weak through all the main Network's where you live ? @David200 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the response.

I have tried the sim card in an old phone with exactly the same results - I can hear them but the standard recipients response is 'you're breaking up only getting every other word'. The Vodafone signal is very weak hence why I had a Sure Signal. 

In the daytime there is only myself at home and using a computer . Av. download speed is 28mbs and upload circa 6mbs. 

I'm sure I cannot be the only one with this problem !!!

Hi David - you're not the only one with this problem!

We have used Sure Signal for several years and it's worked really well. However, our unit overheated and expired a few months ago and I was dismayed to see I could not replace it.

Trying to use Wifi calling has been an absolute nightmare. The main issue is that we have a very week mobile network signal that seldom works but it seems to be strong enough for our phones to want to use it in preference to wifi calling. Even if they do switch, they often switch back mid call and lose the connection. We have tried the option to force wifi calling by enabling flight mode then re-enabling wifi but this has two issues. The first is that if one moves around the building and the phone switches between base stations of our wifi mesh network, the connection is lost.  The second, more serious issue is that we never get text messages over wi-fi calling and in this age of on-line security when access to so much is reliant on a texted security code this effectively prevents us from using wifi calling most of the time.

I've been with Vodafone since before they were called Vodafone and even worked for them for a while! But the issues we're having since losing our Sure Signal have made their network pretty much unusable for us so we'll have to look for another solution, whatever that may be.

It's so exasperating.

Chris

I'm of the same opinion as you. I've been with Vodafone "forever" but it just doesn't work at home without SureSignal and WiFi Calling doesn't really work.

Yep, the only solution left to me was to move providers, which I've now done.

The new provider's signal isn't as good as we used to get with the Suresignal but at least it's useable. 

So after more than 25 years I'm now no longer a Vodafone customer !

Who is the new provider? I am in the same position. 

I went with Plusnet/EE but purely because the EE signal is the best in my house. I got some cheap pre-paid SIMs from the providers whose signal was showing in my area and then tested them to see which was the best, then chose the provider who provided the best value deal on that network.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand your disappointment at losing the use of Sure Signals, but setting up our WiFi Calling alternative is super simple and allows you to stay in touch anywhere you've a WiFi connection, not just at home. You can connect anywhere to make and receive calls and on most phones will also allow you to send and receive SMS messages too! For more information on this and how to install it to your account, check out our online guide.

If you read all the posts on this subject, many by loyal 30 years plus customers, you will realise that is not the case. This is just one of many. "Wifi calling has been an absolute nightmare. The main issue is that when you have a very weak mobile network signal that seldom works but it seems to be strong enough for our phones to want to use it in preference to wifi calling. Even if they do switch, they often switch back mid call and lose the connection. We have tried the option to force wifi calling by enabling flight mode then re-enabling wifi but this has two issues. The first is that if one moves around the building and the phone switches between base stations of our wifi mesh network, the connection is lost."   

You are discriminating against rural communities and will lose many customers a result. Here's another. "Although no UK providers supply personal femtocells (aka Sure signal) anymore. I think it's because they're a 2G technology and everything's moving to 4G/5G. Of course, there's no technical reason why you can't have a 4G femtocell to use for calls and SMS so I guess it's a commercial decision to withdraw them rather than a technical one. I believe providers do install femtocells in commercial properties as I guess it's more cost effective." 

I have made an official complaint and as my phones won't work after you stop Suresignal so will my payments to you as the phones will be useless.