main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Sure Signal/ GigaCube

Sure Signal end means end of Vodafone

sparky17
5: Helper

OK. So we are told that Sure Signal is ending in 60 days.

I read this on my account:

We're closing down Sure Signal.
This means you won’t be able to register a new Sure Signal device and current Sure Signal devices will stop working.
"Over the last decade, we’ve made huge improvements to our network coverage, and it’s easier than ever to get a good signal in more places".  Absolute Tosh!  I still live in a notspot! We’re therefore confident we can continue to provide a great service without Sure Signal.  You carry on and get your 5g signal to your city subscribers, rake in loads of dosh and ##~## us in rural areas.

We’ll let you know before we turn off Sure Signal in your area. Vodafone account holders will receive an email and registered users will get a text. We also offer WiFi Calling and SMS services which can be switched on if your device is compatible. And what if it's not compatable?  You want to sale me a new phone!  **** ***

My answer to this is simple, I'll be switching to another network!!!!!!!

View more options
22 REPLIES 22
TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

Sadly, after many years of perfectly satisfactory service from Vodafone, the loss of Sure Signal has led me to move as well.  I don’t live in a rural area but indoors signal strength without Sure Signal is poor with frequent drops.  The pat answer from customer service to use Wi-fi calling is more than a little irritating when you have a perfectly adequate phone that doesn’t support it.  It’s another example of the smart marketing youngsters not understanding their customer’s needs.

View more options
westo123
4: Newbie

And me, been with Vodafone for well over 30 years. With our Suresignals we a get a perfect signal, otherwise nothing. It is disgraceful, but I guess they is nothing we can do but leave. I have made an official complaint but I'm sure that did a world of good! 

Shame on Vodafone!

View more options
drcarrera

Yep. me too! Just moved from Vodafone after 25+ years as without a Sure signal it's a non-starter where I live. Wi-Fi calling is too unreliable to rely on.  

View more options
Pierre2
2: Seeker

I'm in the same boat.  No indoor signal here at all. Does anyone have suggestions for alternative providers who could give some way of getting a mobile signal (other than WiFi Calling, which would require a phone upgrade) ? I'm not keen on spending £100s on a new phone, when my current one works fine, and is set up just the way I like it.

View more options
drcarrera

AFAIK no UK providers supply personal femtocells (aka Sure signal) anymore. I think it's because they're a 2G technology and everything's moving to 4G/5G. Of course, there's no technical reason why you can't have a 4G femtocell to use for calls and SMS so I guess it's a commercial decision to withdraw them rather than a technical one. I believe providers do install femtocells in commercial properties as I guess it's more cost effective. 

View more options
Judy2
3: Seeker

Same for me. I live in a very rural area. Without Sure Signal I have no signal at all. I have been advised to use wifi calling, however my wifi is terrible too. I have no idea what to do. I have been with vodafone for over 20 years and feel I have just been thrown away. The advisor told me they have improved the network so Sure Signal is no longer needed. Not for me they haven't as I can still receive no signal. Vodafone have no idea of valuing customers. I guess I have to go back to having a landline as no other provider provides coverage at home either.  I will still require a mobile phone, but that won't be with vodafone. If they won't value me I won't value them.

View more options
cybernat

Got a notification yesterday that Sure Signal service will end in 60 days.
My wife and I each have SIM-only contracts with Vodafone and we signed up for them specifically because of the Sure Signal service.
Both our handsets are compatible with WIFI calling but are not on Vodafone's (very narrow) approved list, so while they are perfectly OK for voice calls, SMS will not send or receive.
So the situation we're now in is that Vodafone have terminated the service we signed up for without providing us a viable replacement.
What's worse, after a lengthy phone call to 191 a representative of Vodafone stated we would have to pay early termination fees.
This is entirely unacceptable and we will be pursuing it further.

View more options
Torridon1

Alas, I am stuck with vodafone for another year and a bit, unless I want to pay over £100 to end my contract (early termination fee). I wish they had mentioned they would be ending the sure signal service when I renegotiated another contract. If they had mentioned it, I would have gone to another provider. Wifi calling and texting works, up to a point, if I'm in the same room as the wifi router, but the sure signal gave me much more scope and distance, I could even make and receive calls outside the house (we are in a vodafone notspot too, but I can get signal from another provider who has actually invested in infrastructure in my area in the last few years, unlike some i could mention), so wifi calling/texting work, but it's less flexible. I'm just counting down the days until my contract ends and then I will move away.

View more options
Judy2

That is an absolute disgrace. Vodafone should release you from your contract immediately since they have caused the problem. But since they have absolutely no consideration for their customers I feel it is unlikely.

View more options
Evie

Hi all! We understand how important it is to stay connected, especially now. With our Sure Signal services closing we do have Wi-Fi calling and SMS over Wi-Fi as an alternative option. For more info on device compatibility and how to set this up please see here.

If you did want to discuss your options with our cancelations team, I'd advise calling them on 191 (from a Vodafone number) or 0808 040 8408 (from an alternative number).

View more options
Judy2

This has been said so many times by Vodafone representatives,  but it doesn't matter how many times it is said so many of us are left with a huge problem.  I live in a very rural area and wifi is too flaky. Wifi calling does not work and I can't receive SMS. I am left unable to use my phone and can't even do many types of online things because of two step verification.  I can't receive the text message. Sure Signal is the only way I can use Vodafone. Am I as a customer of so little value to vodafone that they won't even recognise the problem they are causing? Wifi calling does not work. Vodafone trotting out that line over and over doesn't fix that.

View more options
Torridon1

@evie - thank you, but i did contact them and all they would do is cancel my contract if i was prepared to pay the early termination fee of over £100 - it's either that or raise a complaint, which i suspect will have a very similar result. Very disappointed. 

View more options
westo123

Hi Moderator, you do NOT understand!  It is no good trotting out the same old thing about Wi-Fi calling and SMS over Wi-Fi as an alternative option. It is not a alternative as it does not work. You are discriminating against those of us who live in rural areas. Thank you very much for this advise.....

If you did want to discuss your options with our cancelations team, I'd advise calling them on 191 (from a Vodafone number) or 0808 040 8408 (from an alternative number).

View more options
Torridon1

Furthermore, if Vodafone seem to think that Wifi calling and SMS over wifi is such a silver bullet, want do Vodafone expect elderly customers to do if they do not have access to broadband or wifi?  So many companies, not just Vodafone, seem to think that everyone has broadband and wifi and access to the internet. This isn't always the case and there is a very real proportion of our community who still need reliable access to calls and texts. Yes, i know you need a broadband connection in the first place to be able to use sure signal, but I am struggling to understand how Vodafone expect non-broadband people in notspots to access calls/texts if they are solely reliant on Wifi this and Wifi that www. this www. that.  I know of several people in my area who have no such access and rely on the good will of family/friends/neighbours to help them out with ordering things online, getting house or car insurance or even the basics like groceries.  I suppose the corporations of this great world believe these people are simply not worth bothering with.  Sorry guys, I've gone a but off topic, rant over.

View more options
cybernat

@Torridon1 you should definirely raise a complaint.
The more of us who complain the more the chance of getting something done.
I was on chat messaging to a complaints adviser for hours this morning and it yielded fairly positive results, but am still a fair bit away from a final resolution to the problem of no more Sure Signal.

Vodafone either need to release people from their contracts without penalty so they can migrate to a network which has fully functioning WIFI calling/SMS or they need to get their SMS over WIFI sorted so that all compatible handsets can use it.

View more options
westo123

Cybernat, what sort of positive results did you get. I've had none, just use wifi calling or leave! 

View more options
Judy2

Same here. They also gave me the advice to buy two new phones as ours are not compatible with wifi calling and sms. A solution to THEIR problem which will cost me a fortune and still does not guarantee service because I live in a very rural area with bad wifi. My only other option was to leave. I was told technology moves on. Apparently not their technology to provide me with a mobile phone signal. It  is obviously my fault that they can't provide the service, even after I paid for a Sure Signal so that I could be a 'valued' customer.

View more options
Judy2

Could you tell me where you made the official complaint please? I wish to make one too. I have just spent almost 3 hours on a chat with them and got absolutely nowhere.

View more options
cybernat

@westo123 I was offered a "gesture" credit of £150 towards the £300-odd early termination fees.
Also I was called by the complaints adviser and transferred to a tech who took note of our handset models and IMEI numbers and said he would arrange for them to be enabled to send/receive SMS via wifi calling in 24-48hrs.
I had already got wifi calling  working by dialling *#*#869434#*#* and rebooting.
Hopefully the SMS can be made to work.
Both handsets are Xiaomi (Redmi 6+7) running Android.

View more options