main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Sure Signal/ GigaCube

Sure Signal service being discontinued?

davidg_wilson
4: Newbie

I just received a letter stating that the SS service is being dropped, and to use WIFI calling instead.  We live in a rural area with patchy service - normal signal works in some rooms but not for long.  We have 4 SS spread around a large property / workshops.  What concerns me now is that we'll get or initiate calls on the normal service, and then this will drop or be unusable.  WIFI is ok if you have zero normal signal, but I fear will not be a good replacement if signal is patchy.  Comments / ideas?  Also, what about SMS text messages?  

View more options
8 REPLIES 8
Tazjazzy
3: Seeker

Hi.... I’m in the same position but not received a letter concerning this!....I only found out as my sure signal device died and my mobile call became very robotic or cut my call, as my device was still under warranty they have replaced but it was such a rigmarole as one hand didn’t know what was what, but yes they confirmed they will no longer be supplying the sure signal which means I will have no alternative but to change my provider!

I have been okay without sure signal with texts etc just not calls and unless I’m missing something here I was informed by three different Vodafone representatives that if I place my phone in airplane mode I would definitely be able to do WiFi calling 🤔well on research it clearly states “on airplane mode you cannot connect to the internet for WiFi calling” 🤷‍♀️this procedure was followed as instructed with the rep whilst on my landline to prove they could not call my mobile! But they insisted there must be a problem with the WiFi!!! 🤦‍♀️

View more options
davidg_wilson

Thanks, I tried wifi with phone in airplane mode (Iphone) and it worked but clearly then we do not get SMS texts (from Android users and automated services like deliveries etc.)  Will have to check out other providers.  We are a business - they will lose 6 accounts if we get problems.  

View more options
johnnykins

Hi, yes, Suresignal is now on it's way out - see https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/voice-connectivity/sure-signal-shutting-down

Although it's a business page I'm sure it will apply to all Suresignals in time.  Vodafone now offer SMS over wifi with iPhones (running iOS 14.3) and some Android handsets - see the 'When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?' thread in the Network issues forum. 

I've mixed feelings about Suresignal. I've had three, one stopped working and one went bang but all of them gave a faultless 3G signal when needed. 

View more options
johnnykins
View more options
Wiggy13
3: Seeker

I wonder how many people like me do not have a mobile phone which is capable of WIFI Calling?
Mine is but other family members, for various reasons, have non "smart" phones which are not. So when my Sure Signal is switched off I will be faced with having to buy more devices, just what I cannot afford to do under the current situation.

View more options
davidg_wilson

I unplugged the SureSignals and I've been running with this for a month.  First off, it looked ok - the phone seems to latch onto wifi calling if wifi is active.  Good.  SMS texts work for authentication - double good.  Now the bad...

Iphones seem to disconnect from wifi when the screen is locked., and I cannot find any way to prevent this reliably.  This is really really bad, because basically, unless you are looking at your phone, incoming calls and texts do not make it.  All my business calls go to voicemail.  My wifi access points have a feature to keep pinging iphones every 5 seconds to keep them alive, but if the phone decides to disconnect then this does not work.  I have seen suggestions to network & wifi off under system settings/privacy but this does not seem to cure it.  It might be that we have multiple access points and if you wander from one area to another while the phone is closed then you are screwed.  SureSignal had it quirks, but it worked and was a godsend for 12 years.  Wifi calling and Apple phones are not good partners.  

View more options
johnnykins

Hi, here are a few 'tips'. 

On your Wifi settings, tap on the Info button and make sure Auto-Join is set on.  Switch off the Private Address slider. 

Under Privacy > Location Services > System Services - make sure Networking and Wireless is set off

See if that helps. 

View more options
davidg_wilson

Thanks Johnnykins - yes, we’d already done all that.  Maybe it’s an IOS issue, or maybe a problem with our Draytek/Vigor gear.  It’s definitely connected to roaming between access points.

View more options