main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Sure Signal/ GigaCube

SureSignal failed

SCJMBAMBER
2: Seeker

Hi, I think my Sure Signal has suddenly failed at the age of 2 and a half...the pass-through works but there is no red light to show power. It is obviously dead. I have read here and elsewhere that this is a common event at about the age of two, and that new ones are no longer available....which apparently means Wifi Calling.

OK, I have set up Wifi Calling on my phone easily enough, but I realise that my phone (Samsung A20e) is one of the ones that can't receive SMS texts - probably too old.

In this geographical area of just about zero reception otherwise unless I walk 50m outside away from the house, this may turn out to be tricky when trying to sign into websites like banks that send an SMS as extra security..

Any suggetsions please?

Many thanks

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
WelshPaul
12: Established

Your options are limited...

1. Get a handset that supports WiFi calling & Texts

2. Switch networks

View more options
drcarrera
4: Newbie

Be aware that wi-fi calling doesn't work well for everybody, even with a fully compatible phone. Where we live we get a very weak, patchy VF signal. With Sure signal we were fine but when it stopped working we tried to use wifi calling and it just wasn't feasible. Our phones would randomly switch between wi-fi and the weak VF signal losing connection or making the sound quality unusable in the process.

Our only solution was to switch networks to one that has a better standard signal.

However, if you're in an area with no phone signal from any providers you can switch to then a wifi compatible phone is your only option but ironically having a non-existent signal should enable wifi calling to work better! 

View more options
WelshPaul

Put the phone into flight mode and then enable WiFi... Your phone will now stay connected to WiFi calling!

View more options
drcarrera

That's fine if :

a) Your phone supports SMS over wi-fi. Many don't.

b) You don't have multiple access points or your phone supports seamless access point switching (many don't)

c) You don't mind (and don't forget) switching off flight mode whenever you leave the house and switching it on again when you return.

d) You have a reliable broadband connection which always has sufficient spare bandwidth to allow good quality wifi calling (which, admittedly, most do)

View more options
WelshPaul
  • Point A is a valid point.
  • Point B & C - You're just being fussy and looking for reasons to complain.
  • Point D applies to the old sure signal service too.

At the end of the day, if you don't like it then switch networks.

View more options
drcarrera

Fussy? Damn right I'm being fussy! For the amount we've been paying Vodafone why should I accept anything substandard? They key point is that none of these issues (apart from the broadband one but that was a more general point regarding those in poor signal areas) occurred with suresignal. In our circumstances. with multiple people WFH who all need a reliable phone connection the service became untenable once our Suresignal broke. 

And yes, after over 25 years with Vodafone we've now moved to another provider who have a usuble signal in our location. It's still not as good as it was with the suresignal, though.

View more options
WelshPaul

I don't use WiFi calling myself. I would simply switch networks if the network I was with didn't provide me with adequate coverage. There is no loyalty in business, everyone is looking out for their own best interests!

@drcarrera wrote:

And yes, after over 25 years with Vodafone we've now moved to another provider who have a usuble signal in our location.

Well there you go, problem solved. 👍

View more options