Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is gigacube 5g slower than handset 5g

MrCarrot
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi guys I'm getting 359meg a sec download on my note 10+ 5g but only 100 meg in the same location on the gigacube.

I would have thought a giant plastic box full of anttenas would do slightly better than slim phone. Am I doing something wrong here?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @MrCarrot 

We get the same type of question in relation how one phone can be faster or better on connection to another too.

One of our members said and I quote From PedroC1999 " Phones do not latch onto the strongest signal. They follow the network assigned procedure, hence why it's not uncommon to be connected to a weaker signal than is strictly available "

As it's not a fixed form of Home Broadband but instead connects to the masts the same way as a phone does connection  / speeds can fluctuate.

A similar thread below …

Mobile-Broadband/Gigacube-shockingly-slow. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I've read through the above points and follow it but they don't apply to this case.

In the same location (exact) the phone has five bars of 5g signal and is getting 250-350 meg a second on speed test

The 5g router with full 5g gets between 20-150 meg a second on speed test.

What I'm trying to determine is either the router has a maximum speed it can achieve or there's a difference in max speed between max red phone sim and the unlimited 5g SIM. 

I would expect that a large unit would have had superior ability to a small phone.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MrCarrot How many devices do you currently have connected to the GigaCube and do you speeds improve when reducing this amount? Our GigaCube troubleshooting may also help with any issues you may be facing with your current speeds.

I've been doing all testing with a single laptop connected via ethernet simultaneously with 5g handset (not on WiFi).

The issue seems to be that the gigacube cycles between various frequencies constantly giving wildly differing speeds on a minute by minute basis where 5g handsets maintain very high speeds on Vodafone network at the same time.