Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dual Sim iPhone Pro

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

I have ordered an iPhone pro through Vodafone. I spend a lot of time in the USA. Although I have free roaming in the USA on my unlimited max plan, it is of course limited to 25gb and fair use policy. When in the US I would like to use a Verizon or AT&T e-sim. 

Will I be able to do this or is the unlocking policy still outdated and will not immediately support a sim from another carrier. Is it possible to get an exemption to unlocking in a case like this. Surely its better for Vodafone if I am not roaming on foreign carriers using data?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Vodafone UK have a set criteria for unlocking a phone which is detailed on the Nuc Unlocking form link at the side of the forum page or use this unlock-code-request.

Unlocking-your-phone Info.

With a dual hybrid phone a person will need to have both sim slots unlocked hence will have needed to have used a Vodafone Uk sim card in both for at least 30 days by making calls etc.

Ref the iPhone > Vodafone UK does not support esims yet apart from the one in the apple watch.

Edit.

To circumvent the need to pay x3 Bill's on time you could use a Vodafone Payg sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc and then use the new Payg account info to request its unlock.  Just a thought @Jambo1872 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Jambo1872 

All phones purchased direct from Vodafone come locked to the network, if you want an unlocked iphone, you need to go direct to Apple.

The other problem you will have is being unable to get the phone unlocked until the third monthly bill has been paid.  

Further help here:  Unlock Your Phone

Personally, I agree network locking is outdated.  With it being a monthly contract, Vodafone still get paid.  Network locking stopped some time back and then started again.

Thanks for your replies. Does the 30 day policy apply to long standing customers?

Ann, I understand the policy but in the days of dual sim phones it certainly needs updated. Vodafone, as you say would still get their money. I would just be using a foreign sim for some heavy lifting data usage abroad. As long as the Vodafone sim is still active and the bill is being paid, there should not be an issue. 

AnnS

Hi @Jambo1872 

The 30 day policy applies to PAYG, that means having to use a PAYG SIM in the phone, with you being on a monthly contract, although cutting 2 months of the waiting time, will cause considerable inconvenience.

Quite agree with your comments, locking phones to the network serves no purpose.

BandOfBrothers

@Jambo1872 wrote:

Thanks for your replies. Does the 30 day policy apply to long standing customers?

Yes it does @Jambo1872 

Vodafone have a strict criteria for unlocking.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.