main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Unlocking

Huawei P9 Lite - Transferring app data to SD Card

Highlighted
1: Seeker

I have recently purchased a Huawei P9 Lite with Vodafone and have since installed a 64Gb MicroSD card. I have set the SD card as the default memory location  via the Settings/Memory & storage options. However, all data is still being saved to the internal memory, which has now been filled up to my surprise. Is there a method of a) being able to transfer the data (photos, documents, Spotify music which is taking up a big chunk) from internal memory to the SD card? b) A set up method that ensures the SD Card will be used and not the internal memory? Any help much appreciated. The Huawei website is next to useless.

View more options
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

@pruther69

If you've recently added an SD card, you'll need to transfer photos and videos manually;

1. From any Home screen, tap the Applications icon.
  2. Tap File Manager.
  3. Tap Phone.
  4. Navigate to the desired folder and file.
  5. Touch and hold the file you want to copy.
  6. Tap Copy.
  7. Tap SD card.

In regards to your apps, you'll need to do the following;

1. Go to apps
2. Click Storage
3. Choose SD card

Let us know how you get on. 

View more options
Highlighted

I am grateful for your response, but found your instructions did not work. I have however managed to find the following method that should allow app data to be saved to the SD Card.

1.Settings

2.Apps

3.Advanced (bottom of screen)

4.App Permissions

5.Storage

6.Select respective app (this should then allow data for that app to be saved to the SD Card)

To transfer data from internal memory to SD card:

1.Tools

2.Files

3.Local (top right)

4.Internal storage and/or SD Card options should now be available to navigate and move files from one to the other.

View more options
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired)

@pruther69

We're glad to hear you've managed to find a resolution for this, it'll help other users if they have the same issue in the future.

Thanks for letting us know.

View more options
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Generally speaking, it's large files such as photos and music that devour space.   Other app data is usually quite small and often best left on internal storage as this is faster than the sd card.

If you have a card, the camera app will normally offer to use it the first time you open it.   If not, there should be an option in its settings to do so.   Some apps will also offer the card as default storage (Amazon Music does, for instance).

For content already on the device, use the system file manager (3rd party ones can't write to the card) to copy files and only delete the originals once you're satisfied the copying process has completed.

Different phones often have slightly different options and I've never seen an option to force apps to use an sd card, but I haven't used a Huawei device.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker
Tried all odds I seem not to win on transferring my applications to sd card and transferring my documents to my Pc, help pliz
View more options
Highlighted

@Nyagweta

Have you tried the advice given by @pruther69 earlier in the thread?

If not, please give it a go and let us know how you get on.

View more options
Highlighted
4: Newbie

Transferring app data to SD Card is not easy. We can't move app to SD card directly without the help of Huawei mobile manager program. This program offers us an easy way to transfer app to SD card via USB Cable from computer. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi what is the tools and where can I find it on the Huawei P9 lite, cause I can not find it or anything.

View more options
Highlighted

@CookieQueen You can transfer your app data to a SD card using the instructions @pruther69 shared in their earlier post:

1.Settings

2.Apps

3.Advanced (bottom of screen)

4.App Permissions

5.Storage

6.Select respective app (this should then allow data for that app to be saved to the SD Card)

To transfer data from your internal memory to your SD card:

1.Tools

2.Files

3.Local (top right)

4.Internal storage and/or SD Card options should now be available to navigate and move files from one to the other. 

Please let us know how you get on with this.

View more options
Highlighted

I don't understand where to find "tools" in the first place. Is that meant to be on the phone, or on some PC-based management programme? I am pretty desperate to clear out my app data. Photos and videos are already on SD card (I bought the SD card with the phone).

I can find the place where one normally WOULD tell the app to transfer itself to the SD card, but never gives me the option.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @Dani1984

I am not quite sure what you mean, but at a guess, you want the camera to automatically save to the SD card.  If that is correct, this will be on your camera settings.  If you touch the camera button, to the right, you will find the settings, you need to touch the screen and drag the settings onto the screen.  You will then see the setting options, including, priority save to SD card.

If this does not help and you still need advise, you would be able to contact Huawei Support on the link below or pop into a Vodafone Store, they will be able to clarify things for you.

Huawei Support

View more options
Highlighted

Yes,  you can do it. 

But how can you deal with it,  you need 2 things: Premium Membership or a tool for downloaded.

For the first one,  you need to prepare for money, for the latter one you need  [Removed]

MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove third party advertising content please see Community Guidelines]

View more options
Highlighted

I'm sorry but I try to find this but I cannot find it and I still can't transfer my apps to my SD card and my phone has no storage space left.

View more options
Highlighted

@CookieQueen It may be best to visit our advisers in your nearest store if the steps above haven't helped with transferring to your SD card :Smiling: They'll be happy to assist with this and ensure everything you'd like is moved over for you!

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @CookieQueen

With Applications being copywrite, they have to be stored to the phone internal memory, it is not possible to store or transfer phone applications to an external SD card. However, the SD card will be good for storing media, images and any music downloads.

Although the phone has 16GB internal storage this is small internal storage for a smartphone, you need to go through your applications and delete anything unused or unwanted, this is the same for your call and texts message logs.  This will free up some space.

View more options