Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K5160 dongle - can't find where to unlock with NUC code

redsky009
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a K5160 Huwawei dongle that I wanted to use with a Smarty data only SIM (I am with Vodafone for my phone but my friend had a spare Smarty SIM with unlimited data so I wanted to use that).

I'm using Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro (as the dongle doesn't work on OSX 11) and have the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app. With my Vodafone SIM from my phone, it all works as expected, but I can't get it to work with the Smarty SIM. Windows detects it and just says "Operator locked" and won't let me join the network.

I requested the NUC and got that, and downloaded the CardLock_Unlock app as per the. instructions, but when I run that I get an error "Data Card not found!". I entered the NUC anyway and get "open port failed!"

I've looked on these forums and all the K5160 threads either suggest going to 192.168.9.1 or that something should auto-run pop-up asking me to enter the code, but nothing happens and the IP address doesn't work. I tried the range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.9.1 but nothing. I've tried this with the Vodafone and Smarty SIM, but no dice.

When I plug the card in, it opens in Explorer, but there is only a K5160 OS Disclaimer HTMl file and no other software tries to autorun. 

No idea where to go from here - any other ideas of how to unlock this card? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As an update for anyone who has a similar problem - after trying the stick on the Macbook with OSX 11 and Windows 10 (neither would connect to 192.168.9.1), I gave it a final try with by booting up from an Ubuntu 20.04 live USB  onto the Macbook and then plugging in the K5160 and miraculously the unlock portal auto-opened to http://192.168.9.1/html/home.htm and I was able to unlock (although you do need to use a USB keyboard and mouse using the live USB on the MacBook as the inbuilt keyboard and trackpad won't work!).

So, it seems like it must have been a driver issue with OSX and Windows 10. Interestingly, once I'd managed to enter the NUC, then WIndows 10 recognised the stick and would connect to the internet through it. 

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

MarkD

Hi @redsky009, if the original NUC is not working or you're getting an error message, we may need to query this with the NUC Team. If you send us a message on Facebook or Twitter, we'll be happy to take a look into this. You can find our contact details here 🙂

Hi @MarkD

Thanks for responding - I don't think that it's the unlock code not working, it's a problem of not having somewhere to put it in.  The card unlocker app gives an error saying the card isn't found. It does then open and allow you to enter the code, but it doesn't load the IMEI from the card so I just don't think it's detecting the card for some reason.

Not sure if there are any drivers I should be installing other than the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app? Is there any other way to trigger the unlock? Is it always 192.168.9.1 for this model?

Thanks for getting back to us @redsky009. Are you able to send us over a screenshot of the error when you're entering the code please? 

Hi @MarkD

Sure - here are the error messages in the card unlock app. In attachments below

Thanks

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @redsky009 

You would need to go to My Computer and double click on the device as mentioned on this previous thread:https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Unlocking-a-mobile-WiFi-device/td-p/2605338.  However, with the process changed and with phones and devices coming as unlocked, Vodafone may have simplified the process.

When you have managed to unlock the device you will need the Smarty APN settings. See this link for further help: Device Guides - Vodafone K5160 

@AnnS wrote:

Hi @redsky009 

You would need to go to My Computer and double click on the device as mentioned on this previous thread:https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Unlocking-a-mobile-WiFi-device/td-p/2605338.  However, with the process changed and with phones and devices coming as unlocked, Vodafone may have simplified the process.

When you have managed to unlock the device you will need the Smarty APN settings. See this link for further help: Device Guides - Vodafone K5160 

Thanks, but as I mentioned in the first post, I've tried all those steps and they don't work. The device I have is the K5160 and not the R207. Right-clicking on the device in My Computer doesn't give any install option. There's no gateway code to find the IP address on this device. The IP address suggested in this post (https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Unlock-K5160-where-do-I-input-the-code/m-p/2611755#M66430) 192.168.9.1 doesn't work for me.

It seems like there's another thread with the same issue but there doesn't seem like a satisfactory response:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/Unable-to-unlock-K5160-USB-dongle/m-p/2624212 

As an update for anyone who has a similar problem - after trying the stick on the Macbook with OSX 11 and Windows 10 (neither would connect to 192.168.9.1), I gave it a final try with by booting up from an Ubuntu 20.04 live USB  onto the Macbook and then plugging in the K5160 and miraculously the unlock portal auto-opened to http://192.168.9.1/html/home.htm and I was able to unlock (although you do need to use a USB keyboard and mouse using the live USB on the MacBook as the inbuilt keyboard and trackpad won't work!).

So, it seems like it must have been a driver issue with OSX and Windows 10. Interestingly, once I'd managed to enter the NUC, then WIndows 10 recognised the stick and would connect to the internet through it. 

I have the same issue, but I'm not seeing what the solution is on this 'solved' question - is it that I need to find someone running a more recent OS??  All the issues I have are the same, so I won't repeat them, but please can we have a serious response from the help team?  (I tried to use TOBI, but I couldn't see where I was meant to interact - it said that there was a 'Chat in progress', but grief knows where....  Ridiculous)

@dglj - I posted the “solution” above. If you have a decent sized USB you can try creating an Ubuntu live USB and booting into that and then plugging in the dongle. For me, that triggered the browser window where I could enter the NUC. Once that was done, then you should be fine to use the dongle back in Windows / MacOS