cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MCK code requested - Vodafone cannot help at all!

Bowhop
3: Seeker

After being told by Vodafone that our Samsung Galaxy phones could take a second SIM, we went to a Vodafone reseller (in Italy) and had second SIMs added.  As soon as the phones were powered off then on, Vodafone locked them.  The phones are requesting an MCK code.  Vodafone are unable even to discuss this in a useful way.  None of their "service" avenues work.  The web site is a joke.  The "advisor" didn't know what a MCK code was or that Voidafone had even locked our phones.  The NUC codes they send are incorrect.  My only advice is AVOID VODAFONE!

9 REPLIES 9

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm disappointed to hear you've had difficulties unlocking your phone @Bowhop. Have you been in touch with us through one of our social channels? Our Social team will be able to request your MCK and help get your phone unlocked. 

Well, I'm trying to get through to the Social Media team - but the Facebook page is so badly designed that it does not give confidence (it refers to three menu options, there is only one button, no options;  there is a large blank space and the actual work happens at the bottom of the screen (or just off the bottom where it can't be seen).  Again, a failure to test.  The choices mentioned by the Vodafone response do not appear on Facebook.  Vodafone seems to think it can send me a text message, even though it has blocked my phone from sending or receiving texts and calls.  

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Bowhop 

You should still be able to use your Vodafone UK SIM, I suspect what may have happened here is you have accidentally locked a security feature on the phone or locked your Vodafone SIM when you inserted the Italian SIM in the phone but this should be easily solvable.  The priority now is to get your Vodafone SIM online, when you put your Vodafone SIM in the phone, it may request a PUK code. There is further information here: PUK code 

Also further information from Samsung here: I inserted a new SIM card and now it is asking me for a PIN or unlock code to unlock it 

Vodafone no longer lock phones to the network, but this is dependent on how long it has been since you made the purchases.   If the phones are locked to Vodafone, you would need to use a MCK code, this will bring up the unlock menu on the phone to enable you to enter the NUC.  

I would certainly recommend trying your SIM in an alternative phone if possible, this would confirm a SIM or phone problem.  As soon as you have access to the phone or the SIM is working, you will be able to receive the text message from Vodafone and pass data protection.

The SIMs were checked in another phone by the Vodafone people in Italy.  They confirmed that the problem was between Vodafone and Samsung.  My phone seems to have started working.  My wife's phone still asks for an MCK code.  Samsung have told us that only a senior Vodafone person can supply that code.  However, when we had phoned Vodafone, they put us on to Samsung, who are now telling us that we must be talking to Vodafone.  The Master Key issue seems to be confusing everyone at Vodafone - that is what the MCK is, that is what the phone is asking for.  

We seem to be trapped between Vodafone and Samsung;  apparently the MCK code is a Master Key, and only a senior member of Vodafone staff can ask Samsung to unlock it.  And nobody else even knows what the MCK is, or who the elusive senior member is.  We phone Vodafone and 2 3/4 hours later they have passed us to Samsung who are telling us we need to be talking to Vodafone!

Bowhop

We need a senior Vodafone technical person, who knows about the Master Key, to contact us tomorrow.

Thanks for the update @Bowhop, have you arranged for one of the team to contact you back today? Also, did you manage to get through on the Facebook channel, if you did, did you include your Community username in the message? 

I am having the exact same issues with my daughter's phone,  and am being given excuse after excuse by technical support. My teenager now has no phone to use in case of emergency and to be honest I am so angry I will leave Vodafone after having an account with you for over 15 years.

Hi All

I experienced a difficult mobile unlocking experience (ref MCK) with Vodafone over last week and offer the following so others don’t have to go through the same frustrating steps.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.  I asked Vodafone for the Network Unlock Code which didn’t work.  As others have experienced, once you have entered a wrong code three times, you’ll get the following:

"SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."

I spent a few hours typing to get Vodafone to provide me with a “SIM network PUK”.  The problem is their support staff simply default to giving you the Network Unlock Code (NUC) which is not the same...and it takes days.

For Samsung, a "SIM Network PUK" is actually the Master Code Key (MCK) which is a Defreeze or unfreeze code.

So, you first need an MCK and then secondly, you need a SIM Network Unlock (or NCK).

I tried the Samsung helpdesk; they stated this is v easy for Vodafone to provide.  I got fed up waiting for Vodafone as I wanted to switch and not wait weeks, so I paid a 3rd party and the codes came through in 12 hrs – success!  It cost me £16.95 but I was fed up waiting for Vodafone to act. 

I used “simplyunlocked.co.uk” as they have been recommended by others on this forum and they offered a guarantee unlocked (some others don’t’).  This also worked for me…but DYOR!

Hope this all helps

PS. I still have 3 other family mobile lines with Vodafone but will probably switch them when contracts end).  I can only suspect Vodafone make switching deliberately tricky to try to retain your custom for longer.  Of course, it only has the opposite effect!