main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

NUC code nightmare

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I bought a used Apple iPhone XS 64GB online . The phone has a cleared checkmend report and as far as I understand it is a clean phone. 

Knowing that I would need to unlock it to use another UK network in the phone I visited one of your retail stores to do so. 

I was advised to take out a 30 day rolling contract and to request the NUC code on day 30.  Although going home and checking online I was told I can’t until I’ve paid 3 bills as a pay monthly customer yet I can on pay as you go after 30 days

Since there was no option for a 30 day rolling contract on the NUC online form, each time I have called Vodafone customer advisors. Do do the form for me. 

Unlock request #1

On day 15 a sales advisor said I could unlock my phone and they submitted a form to unlock my phone. 

I heard nothing back and called sales again with someone telling me it would be rejected as I hadn’t reached day 30 yet. 

Unlock request #2

Called customer team to fill in NUC form for me. Asked for email confimarion but instead received text confirmation:

Dear,Mr *****

we just wanted to confirm that we have submitted your NUC request to the support team and they should be in touch with you by email within the next 7 working days.
Reference Number: *******

thanks for calling,
we hope that we managed to sort out all of your queries.
Vodafone UK

This seems to be contrary to what is stated online of hearing a reply within 48 hours. 

I completed an unlock with my wife’s phone that took 24 hours so I know it’s possible!!!!

I just need to know what is the best option moving forward. Each day that passes I have a very expensive secondary phone that I’m not using much waiting to be unlocked and continuing to pay bills on. 

And what does it mean you can’t request more than 3 unlock codes? Is that an approved request? And is that: per account, per SIM card, per device? It’s so unclear. 

If I knew Vodafone was this awful at unlocking I would never have bought a phone locked to Vodafone. 

It just seems Vodafone are content on taking my money and refusing clear communication

View more options
1 REPLY 1
17: Community Champion

@Brent123 

Imo it was poor advice to get you to go and open up a sim only contract !

Payg would have been sufficient as that way you just use the sim card for 30 days making calls etc and you then do not have to wait for x3 Bill's paid too, and you don't have to close the the contract down. A Payg account suspends after 180 + 90 days of non usage. 

And there's no credit check hence no footprint on a persons Credit file.

How-do-I-unlock-my-Vodafone-device-if-I-m-not-a-Vodafone-customer.

The stipulations / criteria laid down by Vodafone are to try and stop fraudulent unlocking etc.

To add in regards to unlocking an iPhone >

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database. 

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request to unlock and occasionally this can take Apple approximately up to another 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please Periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options