main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Unlocking

NUC team saying phone is unlocked, Phone says it isn't.

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I recently tried to request a NUC code, However the NUC team sent an E-mail saying that the phone is already unlocked & that if I put a sim from another network in it it will work.

However I have put a sim from other networks into the phone (O2 & EE) & it just brings up a popup saying 'Unlock Sim, remaining attempts 100' with 'Network locked' displayed in the notification bar.

The phone is a Motorola Moto e4 Plus. Any ideas?

I've had a Vodafone Pay & Go sim in the phone since May 20th & that has worked fine.

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Have you ever activated the sim pin security feature that stops a person inserting a sim in other phones @stef2020 

Also may I ask Did Vodafone supply the phone directly  ?

Have you ever asked for a Nuc for that phone ?

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Sim pin has not been activated as far as I know.

It didn't come from Vodafone, My dad got it pre-owned in May (It's him i'm trying to unlock it for) & this is the 1st time we have requested a NUC.

Vodafone sim's work in it perfectly. I got a new Pay & Go sim from Vodafone in May to use for 30 days in order to get the NUC. That has been in the phone since May 20th, Just put it in & it worked without issue once activated.

View more options
Highlighted

Who supplied the phone then @stef2020  ?

Sometimes sims work in phones as they were originally used to piggy back on a mvno  meaning a virtualnetwork i.e it uses Vodafone's network infrastructure.

It could be locked to another Network but is allowing a Vodafone Sim Card.

As Vodafone didn't supply the phone they may not be able to unlock it via a Nuc.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Who supplied the phone then @stef2020  ?

Sometimes sims work in phones as they were originally used to piggy back on a mvno  meaning a virtual network i.e it uses Vodafone's network infrastructure.

It could be locked to another Network but is allowing a Vodafone Sim Card.

As Vodafone didn't supply the phone they may not be able to unlock it via a Nuc.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @stef2020 

From what you have written the original owner has already tried to enter the unlock code, been unsuccessful and used the maximum number of tries and locked the phone permanently to Vodafone.  Indeed Vodafone may have already issued the unlock code for the original owner and this is the reason Vodafone have come back to you to let you know the phone is unlocked (according to Vodafone records it would be).

If it was an unlocked phone you were looking to purchase, you will need to go back to the seller and ask for the return of your money.  As you are not the original owner, not sure if Vodafone would be able to reset the counter for you and I would suggest contacting Motorola, details found from a Google search and see if it is at all possible for them to help and reset the unlock counter. 

I have a feeling you will never be able to get the phone unlocked to use to all networks.

View more options
Highlighted

Bit of a correction.

My dad works at an NHS hospital (as an on call electrician) & he said it's a phone that was supplied to on-call staff a few years ago & that when they upgraded to new devices earlier in the year the management at his hospital gifted some of the old phones to long time staff & he ended up with one. All of the phones on call staff are given at his hospital run on the Vodafone network, We also have the original box & there's no network listed anywhere on it.

I did just go into the manual network selection setting & it says it's open to Vodafone & T-Mobile with other displayed network listed as Forbidden.

View more options
Highlighted

Things can get tricky with ex corporate phones @stef2020 unfortunately @stef2020 

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options