Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia 1 will not give me the unlock message

DavidWolfe
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am doing everythign required to unlock the Nokia 1 supplied by you and I am not getting the unlock message. I even took it into the Vodafone store I bought it in and they couldn't get it to unlock either. #VodafoneFail

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @DavidWolfe 

The first thing is to make sure the alternative SIM you are using is activated and working, otherwise you won't be able to use the code.

If you are getting the unlock failed message, this will need escalating to the NUC Team, they can be contacted through the Customer Service channels.  Alteratively, wait for the forum team to get to the thread and they will escalate on your behalf.

The sim I am trying to use has been activated and in use for over 5 years.

Never mind unlocked fail message I can't get past the locked sim one

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It's disappointing to hear you're having trouble getting your phone unlocked @DavidWolfe. Can you please provide a screen shot of the error message you're getting - if it's saying SIM locked, you might need a PUK code. 

Are you also using the following instructions to get your phone unlocked? 

1. Turn on the phone without any SIM
2. Enter the following sequence (#pw+unlock code+1#) on your Nokia 1 just like a phone number*
* Characters p, w, + will appear after pressing the *(star) symbol a couple of times
4. Press # at the end to confirm the code
5. Message "SIM restriction OFF" should appear

Give this a go and let me know how you get on, if you're still having trouble I'll be happy to help further. 

You know better than me that you can't type p and w that way on a Nokia 1, the internet is FULL of posts from people with the same problem; hitting * quickly or holding it down just types lots of *

Regarding messages, with the new sim in it just says sim locked, and when I enter the NUC it says that the PIN should be 4 or 8 characters only

Screen shot.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DavidWolfe  - We can escalate this to our Network Unlock team. So we can do this, please get in touch with us by one of the following options:

• Twitter using @VodafoneUK
  • Facebook using Vodafone UK
  • Live chat

Good try Gemma, but I already did so via chat pm Monday. I was promised the world, including a follow up email as a reference for the call; unsurprisingly knowing how mediocre Vodafone's customer service is, I haven't heard anything since.

I tried contacting Vodafone, going to my local store - all completely useless so gave up on trying to unlock the carrier... that is until today.

Today the phone was doing the same thing but then needed to update to from Android 8 to 9 (Pie). I ran the update and security update with no SIM in. I shut the phone down and put an alternative SIM in - et voila! I was asked for the unlock code.

Might be too late for you now but thought I would put this up in case anyone else is looking for advice like I was. All I can summise is that Nokia 1's running Android 8 simply did not allow the SIM unlock...