Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Obtaining a network unlock code - unsuccessfully

philgeorge1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can anyone please help me in obtaining a network unlock code, Vodafone have been entirely useless. We requested a NUC on the 25th October using the online form as requested. This was after we had missed the fact we needed one and so the number had already ported to the new network. We have heard nothing.

We have called customer services from another mobile who said they would go away and look at it and call us back this morning. Nothing. We have made a complaint via the online form. Nothing. Made a complaint via Facebook. Nothing. Vodafone, where is our code? My wife has been without a working mobile phone for nearly 3 weeks and no-one cares about it. This is beyond a joke, can someone please help.

We are recording all of the evidence and will be reporting Vodafone to Ofcom as well, we have followed all of the correct procedures and they just keep ignoring us.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Usually if a person passes the required criteria as stated in the online unlocking form there really shouldn't be an issue with Vodafone providing the Nuc !

I assume Vodafone haven't sent a recieved your unlocking type email either to your email inboxes or spam email folder  ?

Have Vodafone managed to explain why they haven't sent a Nuc @philgeorge1 

Customer service can gine you the Nuc email address so you can mail them directly if thats help.

I would normally advise to speak with the Vodafone Social Media Teams but it appears you gave and Vodafone should confirm receipt of your complaint. I assume you used the method in Complaint. 

Vodafone have 8 weeks to try and resolve a complaint but if they can't they would issue a Deadlock letter for you to involve the Communications Ombudsman.

What model of phone are you wanting to unlock ? I ask as an iPhone isn't unlocked via a Nuc but is instead unlocked by Apple after being contacted by Vodafone.

You could try a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones and pay the fee and then ask Vodafone to cover the cost. 

Not the best scenario I submit.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks BandofBrothers. Yes we have followed all of that as you say. We did get an email saying it could take up to 10 days, so we waited and then heard nothing of course.

It's an iPhone 7 we are trying to unlock, do they send a code through, or how does it work? A random alarm started going off on it the other evening, but nothing was on the screen. Would it make an audible noise when unlocked?!

The other complication is the fact the number has ported away to the new network which has also got Vodafone confused, even though loads of people must end up doing this. 

The fact they have 8 weeks to resolve a complaint is fine, but they surely need to acknowledge it first? At this stage I have no faith they would even send us the deadlock letter.

Thanks for your help.

AnnS

@philgeorge1 

When Vodafone pass the unlock request to Apple it can take up to 30 days to proces the unlock but would probably be done sooner.

Have you tried an alternative SIM in the phone? Unlocking is done when the alternative SIM is placed in the phone. Alternatively, synchronise to itunes to complete the unlocking process.

There is no code for an iphone, Apple process the unlock remotely through the system.  If the unlock has been done from Apple end, you will receive a notification on the screen to the effect the phone is unlocked.

Thanks AnnS, I didn't know that. We'll connect the phone up to iTunes tonight and see what happens. At the moment the old sim is in there, I'll also put the new sim in at the same time. 

Hi @philgeorge1 

You're very welcome.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a furthet 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please Periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks, we will put the new sim in tonight and just leave that one in there, as well as hooking it up to iTunes to see if that helps move it along. I guess then we wait, but it would be nice if someone from Vodafone actually bothered to let us know what was happening.

Thought I'd give an update and say thanks for both of your help, we feel a bit stupid. I got in from work and put the new network sim in the phone, turned it back on and it asked me to sign back into iTunes. I did so and the phone was then activated on the new network. So the unlock code must have been sent through at some point, we just didn't get a notification and Vodafone didn't tell us it was complete.

We'll still follow through the complaints procedure as this wasn't acceptable, but at least we have a functioning phone.

Thanks again.

You're very welcome @philgeorge1 

Good to hear your phone is now unlocked to all networks.  :Smiling:

Take care.

Current Phone  >